Post Reply FAQ Members Login

earned a trip to L&D

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

earned a trip to L&D

Postby rachelandtyke2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 06:00 pm

by rachelandtyke2 (6 Posts), Fri Feb 01, 2013 06:00 pm

Really high BP at my appt this morning and a non-reactive NST earned us a trip to L&D. I'm here for at least 24 hours. Earlier labs looked good and baby finally started to perk up, so if the rest of the NSTs look good and my labs and 24 hr collection are OK, I'll get to go home tomorrow. Naturally, my hospital bag that was packed and in the trunk last week, was in the house and only slightly packed today. :roll:

Is there a "typical" gestation when they'll go ahead and deliver if neither of us are in immediate danger? DS was induced at 37 weeks due to IUGR because the MFM felt that was far enough. I do plan to ask my OB tomorrow when she stops by (I had planned to ask her at my appt this morning, but didn't see her much as she sent me over to the hospital instead.). I'm 35w2d, so I feel like we're in good shape if we need to deliver even though it's preterm.
rachelandtyke2

Re: earned a trip to L&D

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat Feb 02, 2013 01:38 am

by MomTimesThree (570 Posts), Sat Feb 02, 2013 01:38 am

Sorry you've found yourself inpatient. We thought of it the same way, an "earned" trip, which I reframed as nights away with room service and personal assistants...

I remember about 12 hours before official 37 weeks status our MFM came in (we were already inpatient) after some icky BP spikes and said, "Well alright then, 37 weeks, let's show these residents text book pre-eclampsia and how its done." From diagnosis on, we were always told 37 weeks was our new "40 week" and we would be induced. And it seems studies show that the benefits for maternal health outweigh the risks... I believe the study that is cited frequently is HYPITAT, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19656558.

Hope lil' one stays perked up, labs hold steady and you're able to break free tomorrow, get that back packed and hold off another week or so. :)

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: earned a trip to L&D

Postby rachelandtyke2 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 08:01 pm

by rachelandtyke2 (6 Posts), Sat Feb 02, 2013 08:01 pm

Yay, I'm home! Baby and I looked stable, so we got to come home. Still on strict bedrest as my BP gets really, really high now when I'm up on my feet at all. But glad to be home. :) I *think* I started to lose my mucus plug. Maybe, just maybe, this little one will actually come on its own before I need to be induced.
rachelandtyke2

Return to Ask the Experienced