Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Preeclampsia dr.

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Preeclampsia dr.

Postby sunnydays2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:15 pm

by sunnydays2 (4 Posts), Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:15 pm

Hi I am in need of a Preeclampsia dr. I need to switch because my present dr. only wants to induce early delivery if bloodpressure goes up. I am looking for someone in Philadelphia area. If anyone could send me a personal message, or advise me of excellent dr. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks-Jodi
sunnydays2

Re: Preeclampsia dr.

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:32 pm

by MomTimesThree (559 Posts), Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:32 pm

Hi Jodi-

This is a good resource to find MFMs (High risk Drs) https://www.smfm.org/MFM%20Member%20Locator%20Page.cfm.

I take it you've met for pre-eclampsia- in which case I'm so sorry! How far along are you? It may be that your doctor is weighing the risks to baby of being born early with your current condition. In my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 29 and 25 weeks respectively, but were able to manage my pregnancy safely with bedrest and frequent monitoring to 37weeks (2nd) and 36 weeks (3rd). I was very thankful to hold on for those weeks!

Keep posted when you can.
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Feb 27, 2013 04:06 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Wed Feb 27, 2013 04:06 pm

It will probably be hard to find a doc who will do expectant management past 37 weeks, because induction at 37 weeks with hypertension is now considered standard of care by the ACOG. The practice bulletin may not be out quite yet but I know that's what they decided, in line with the HYPITAT study showing a risk reduction of around 30%. The data showed that the mother had better outcomes with delivery at 37 weeks and the baby's outcomes were equivalent in both arms of the trial, probably because hypertension seems to accelerate fetal development.

Here's a comment from our Experts: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44954
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby sunnydays2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 05:13 pm

by sunnydays2 (4 Posts), Wed Feb 27, 2013 05:13 pm

hi thanks for your replies. I want to be more specific. I am 13 wks pregnant. The dr I have met with said if blood pressure goes up they like to deliver early as early as 27 wks. I want to be pushed and monitored to get past 33 wks, as my first child has been affected and I am trying to avoid that route.
sunnydays2

Postby blythe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 06:54 pm

by blythe (3060 Posts), Thu Feb 28, 2013 06:54 pm

Hello Jodi, and welcome.

I'm confused, what information exactly led your doctors to say they would induce at 27 weeks? What were the circumstances - blood pressure, HELLP? - of your first pregnancy? Do you have underlying disorders such as lupus or diabetes or another autoimmune condition? I can definitely appreciate wanting to stay pregnant as long as possible - I fought my 37 week induction with my first, though I begged for that same 37 weeks with my second and third - but our experience over the years is that doctors are very careful walking that tightrope between keeping baby inside as long as possible and keeping mom as healthy as possible under those circumstances.

Maybe it was as simple as mis-hearing / mis-speaking 27 weeks when they meant 37 weeks, that would fit with current practice recommendations, as Lauren and Caryn already mentioned. If they really meant 27 weeks for "only" blood pressure, I would be worried in your shoes too. Please tell us more.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Return to Ask the Experienced