Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Questions about chronic high BP and proteinuria before preg?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Questions about chronic high BP and proteinuria before preg?

Postby MandiS » Tue Mar 12, 2013 04:47 pm

by MandiS (7 Posts), Tue Mar 12, 2013 04:47 pm

As I wrote in another post, I'm trying to decide if I should get pregnant now since I have concerns about fertility, or if I should try to lose weight as my OBGYN recommends. My primary doctor and another primary doctor I saw seems to think I'll be fine, but my OBGYN has me scared to death I'll die or the baby won't make it to term. So my questions are this, if you had pre-existing high blood pressure before pregnancy:

1. What were your complications?

2. Did you find your blood pressure was much more difficult to control during pregnancy?

3. If you were me and the risks could be lowered by losing 40 pounds to put you in the normal BMI range, would you try to do that first?

4. It would also be nice to hear from anyone who had chronic proteinuria prior to pregnancy.
MandiS

Re: Questions about chronic high BP and proteinuria before p

Postby sam10 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 07:46 pm

by sam10 (1436 Posts), Tue Mar 12, 2013 07:46 pm

1.I developed severe PE in both my pregnancies with worsening labs in my first. I have MTHFR as the only risk factor apart from having developed PE twice.

2. During the last two weeks before delivery and also for a short period postpartum, my BP was getting very difficult to control. I don't have high BP outside of pregnancy.

3. Yes. I usually take the advice of a concerned doc seriously. If I doubt them, I get a second opinion, and a third if needed.

4. I am sure somebody with this problem will chime in
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced