Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Rapid weight gain...other causes?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Rapid weight gain...other causes?

Postby kaxy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 09:00 am

by kaxy (98 Posts), Wed Mar 27, 2013 09:00 am

I am always on hyper-alert for my pregnant friends, if they mention any symptoms that sound remotely like pre-e. Being no medical professional though, I don't always know what I'm talking about :).

Anyway, my friend is roughly 34w with her first baby, and has said that in the last week she has gained a pound per day.

I don't know what she has gained so far, total, but by looks she seems to be in a normal weight-gaining pregnancy (to this point). I told her that it sounded a bit rapid, and to please call her midwife. Never any harm in making that call, ya know?

But is weight gain like that typical in non-pre-e situations? Can that happen in perfectly normal pregnancies? Some random 3rd trimester growth spurt?

I hate to be alarmist and needlessly scare a first-time mom who just wants a nice, peaceful homebirth. But still. Pre-e is a JERK. A quiet one, at that.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Re: Rapid weight gain...other causes?

Postby sam10 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:03 am

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:03 am

Oh, I am known to be alarmist amongst my friends. I don't care, as I know how PE can change your life forever.
Rapid weight gain is one of the symptoms of PE (well as you know) and I would advise your friend to be seen by her midwife/doc and get clarification. Weight gain can be tricky as it can come in spurts and is different for everybody. Looking back at my two pregnancies, I did have a lot of rapid weight gain in my first and gained at a much steadier pace in my second. I did not have excessive weight with my second and still developed severe PE. You just never know.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: Rapid weight gain...other causes?

Postby kaxy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 07:07 pm

by kaxy (98 Posts), Wed Mar 27, 2013 07:07 pm

I'm glad she didn't mind me saying anything -- she said she wondered about pre-e, too. She was going to check with her midwife. I think it's always good to just be on top of things and have it be nothing, than to ignore it!

Looking back, I don't know that I had rapid weight gain as any sort of sign. Mine came on at term, and rapidly once it did. I did have swelling, though, with my first. It can be different with everyone!
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Return to Ask the Experienced