Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Pre-E Without Hypertension

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Pre-E Without Hypertension

Postby bekahr84 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 01:58 pm

So I had pre-e with my 1st and nothing with my 2nd. I am currently 34 weeks and my doc says she thinks the pre-e is starting. I have been experiencing frequent headaches and visual disturbances. I had +1 protein in my urine in the office so they did blood work and sent me home to do a 24 hour urine catch. My blood work came back fine and I am still doing the urine catch so I won't find out for a couple of days about that. But now I am experiencing pain in my right shoulder. Has anyone ever had pre-e without the hypertension? My bp is fine normally around 120/70. This was not my experience my 1st time around so I am in uncharted waters. I am waiting on a call from my doc about the shoulder pain.
bekahr84

Re: Pre-E Without Hypertension

Postby alviarin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 02:45 pm

How are you feeling today?

Although the technical definition of preclampsia includes both proteinura and hypertension (two BP readings of 140/90 +, either number, at least 6 hours apart) we have had at least one poster report seizing or eclampsia before her BP quite reached the diagnostic cutoff. She reported experiencing elevated pressures significantly above her normally low non-pregnant baseline.

It is also possible- though more rare- to have HELLP syndrome without progressing to preeclampsia first. If you are still having shoulder pain I hope they ran blood work recently to check for HELLP syndrome /elevated liver enzymes (EL). Please let us know how you get on and update us when you can.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Pre-E Without Hypertension

Postby tree » Tue Apr 09, 2013 08:34 pm

How are you feeling now? I developed HELLP without reaching the diagnostic cut off for high blood pressure. It is unusual, but there are several of us who have had similar experiences. The only good thing about HELLP is that it is easy to rule out with blood work. How did your blood work from the doctor's office look? Can you have new labs drawn if you feel worse than you did at your last visit? HELLP can develop quickly, and you don't want to rely on good labs from a few days ago if you feel worse.

Please call and/or go straight to L&D if you feel worse, become nauseous, experience worsening abdominal or shoulder pain, or otherwise worry that you are getting sicker. Shoulder pain can be caused by many things in pregnancy, so try not to panic if your labs look good and you are in regular contact with your doctor.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced