New/Reply FAQ Members Login

What was your BP when they finally induced

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

What was your BP when they finally induced

Postby Tscheeler » Thu May 02, 2013 11:10 am

With my daughter it had stayed moderately high and had been on BR for about 5 weeks when they induced 2 weeks early.

With my son I was great till my 39 week visit. My BP was 150/111 and I had him 4 hours later. I also had a mag. drip with him with I have heard from other health professionals may not have been medically necessary with a reading of 150/111. Just wondering what your experience was.
Tscheeler

Re: What was your BP when they finally induced

Postby sam10 » Thu May 02, 2013 08:33 pm

In my second pregnancy my BP was somewhere around 160/100 (but I don't remember the number exactly) when it was decided to do a repeat c-section. I had two readings in that range within 6 hours, which put me into the severe range. In my first pregnancy I was so sick, that I don't even remember much the last two days prior to delivery. I ended up with an emergency c-section due to fetal indicators rather than my BP readings.

From what I know (but I am not a doc), magnesium is administered when BP goes as high as yours to prevent seizures. During labor doctors cannot foresee how your BP is going to change and/or if you will have a seizure. Things can change quickly and often for the worse. Sometimes it is only given after delivery. The first 24 hours after delivery are to be known as the most critical. Magnesium is a cheap and easy way to help prevent bad outcomes. It is, however, no fun for the mom, as many of us experience side effects.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Sat May 04, 2013 08:49 am

I went straight to CS rather than induction due to the combination of bad NST, high protein count, and unfavorable cervix, but my BP had been around 165/105 on admission and went down slightly after 2 days in bed (though my diastolic had been over 100 for weeks).

There seems to be some dispute over when to give mag--some hospitals give it at lower BPs than others. (This is going by anecdata of who got it and when rather than formal research though!)
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby mom29 » Mon May 13, 2013 09:47 am

I had been admitted to the hospital twice already with high bp and elevated protein levels, but not quite 300. MFM was very watchful and waiting for me to say I was feeling worse. He would have delivered earlier if I had complained and I was determined not to complain and deliver early!

Right before my third admission, I woke up from a nap and feeling "off" I checked my bp and it was 181/109. Called my MFM and he told me to go to L&D. I was hopeful it was chronic hypertension getting worse vs. pre-eclampsia. The dip they did during the 24 protein test came up at 500 so MFM said it was baby day. I delivered at 33 weeks and my daughter weighed 3 lbs. 15 oz.
mom29

Postby ccake79 » Wed May 15, 2013 03:07 am

My BP was 220/110 when they decided to abort the induction and do an emergency c-section instead. I have no idea what it was before then because it was all so unexpected (thought I just had a migraine, so was going into the hospital just for a check-up). It didn't settle for a number of days afterwards. I had mag sulf for at least 24 hours after delivery (again, can't really remember exactly how long for as it's all a bit of a blur!!!).
ccake79

Postby laughinggirl127 » Tue May 21, 2013 02:43 am

I don't remember what it was with my first but with my second it was 225/180 during my repeat c section. I was on mag and had the max amount of labetelol IV. It sucked a lot.
DS born 2003- 39 weeks preeclampsia, 6LBS 7oz
DD born 2009-32 weeks preeclampsia, 3LBS 1oz
DD born 2012-38 weeks, PIH, IUGR 5lbs 4oz- no pree
laughinggirl127

Return to Ask the Experienced