face puffy along with everything else, midwife not concerned

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

face puffy along with everything else, midwife not concerned

Postby Dianneburnett » Sat May 04, 2013 09:07 am

My daughters face is very puffy along with feet ankles hands wrist. She has horrible carpel tunnel so painful she can't drive. She is irritable and thinks I'm paranoid because I am worried. She is not worried because she has no protein in her urine.
Her blood pressure has been 138 over 89. Last week, and she will not check it except when at her midwives appt. I can see that her veins are popping out in her neck and wrist, and I fear because I don't want her to die. Her midwife had a heart attack Tuesday it was mild and so my daughter did not see the midwife on Thursday. I'm worried about the midwives mental clarity due to the heart attack and the midwife telling my daughter that because when she saw her a week ago nothing was progressing with my daughters pregnancy that my daughter did not need to see the midwife. Nothing was urgent. My daughter is due in 7 days, and has had this swelling non stop for a month, she doesn't even look like herself. Help
Dianneburnett

Re: face puffy along with everything else, midwife not conce

Postby amallison » Sat May 04, 2013 08:53 pm

Can you have her go to your local labor and delivery?
amallison

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat May 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Those symptoms are quite worrying- especially that you can't be sure of her BP because she isn't taking it- and when she did it was elevated. Unless she did a 24 hour urine catch a simple dip sample can be quite inaccurate. My protein was always above 400 on 24 hour catches and consistently dipped negative- only sometimes trace.

I hope she'll seek medical care- a trip to labor and delivery if for no other reason than to provide you peace of mind. Perhaps if she is stubborn you can provide the carrot that if it all turns out to be nothing she'll have the pleasure of being able to say, "I told you so.".

I also encourage you and her to read over the signs and symptoms of pre-eclampsia. http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... d-symptoms
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Hello and welcome! I would be concerned too. Especially with the symptoms you are describing. Perhaps you want to show your daughter this link of the signs and symptoms: http://www.preeclampsia.org/signs-and-symptoms
Has your daughter had a 24-hour urine collection that confirms that she has no protein? And even when it was clear a while ago, it can change/progress
quickly. Dipsticks are not always reliable.
I would go to labor and delivery of your local hospital, so your daughter can be checked over. If she is fine, you will have piece of mind. If not, you did the right thing. Please tell your daughter that in my first pregnancy I thought I was fine. I had swelling in my face and hands. Could not move my fingers. I lost my precious baby. If doctors wouldn't have interveined at the time they did, I would not have made it either. Unfortunately, even today people still die from preeclampsia, especially if undiagnosed. Many a tragedy could be prevented by being informed and proper intervention at the right time. Please tell your daughter, things can change quickly for the worse. Please let us know how it goes. Thinking of you and your daughter.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:02 pm

I just saw Lauren's post after posting mine (something wrong with my browser). But as you can see, same thoughts.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon May 06, 2013 08:46 am

I hope to hear she's been seen in L&D or by a doctor and that her and baby are safe and healthy!

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced