No urine: Anyone else?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mlbaker

Re: No urine: Anyone else?

Postby mlbaker » Wed May 22, 2013 02:12 pm

With my last pregnancy I was going to a university hospital and the MFM docs were researchers. They did a lot to try to figure out what was going on, which included scans of the kidney and bladder. These scans never occurred when I was having a no urine episode. We moved mid-pregnancy and my new OB wasn't really interested in figuring out what was going on. She just ran tests to make sure mom and baby were healthy enough to continue the pregnancy. And that's what they are doing here.

I do think there's more going on. At this point I'm urinating just fine but if I get up and move around my bp jumps back up to 150/100, so labatalol it is. The no urination thing is just bizarre.

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: No urine: Anyone else?

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed May 22, 2013 11:38 am

I'm curious, during the bouts of not being able to pee have they done u/s or scans of your kidneys and bladder to see if there is inflammation or even kidney stones which may be causing intermittent blockage?
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

mlbaker

No urine: Anyone else?

Postby mlbaker » Wed May 22, 2013 10:56 am

Hello! I'm going to talk to my doctor about this tomorrow, but I wanted to get some thoughts from other people.

I'm on pregnancy #3. In the first pregnancy I had severe PIH. Never spilled any protein. Never any other symptoms. BP became too high and they induced at 37 weeks. My son had IUGR. Second pregnancy, my bp started going up at about week 20 and everyone said that I would likely develop pre-e. But what was going on didn't look very much like pre-e. For some reason I'd randomly stop urinating for 24+ hours. I wasn't dehydrated. I would just stop peeing. Then I'd swell up in my face and hands. After that my bp would spike. I'd have sometimes really severe flank pain. I'd always joke, "My kidneys hurt again!" Then suddenly I'd start peeing again. Swelling would subside somewhat. BP would go back down. Everything would be fine until this struck again. I had a ton of tests and no one was able to figure out what was going on. At about 38 weeks my creatinine level changed, which indicated the start of renal failure. I was diagnosed with pre-e and induced. I lost about 20 pounds of water weight instantly and things went back to normal.

Now I'm on pregnancy #3. This was a GREAT pregnancy. Of course I have been closely monitored because of my past pregnancies, but bps have been stellar and I'd been feeling great. All of a sudden the no peeing, swelling up, high bp thing is going on. It happened yesterday. My face got really fat and I couldn't take off my rings. I noticed that I hadn't peed as much as I should have. Took my bp and it was 150/100. OB sent me to L&D. It was still 150/100 when I got there. Then, all of a sudden, the swelling subsided and I started to pee like a champ. BP settled back down to 140/90. Today my face is back to normal, I'm three pounds lighter than yesterday, and my bp is 120/85.

OB prescribed labetalol, as is normally indicated. The thing is, I don't think this is going to do anything. It never did in my last pregnancy. If anything, I'm concerned that it might just mask an important symptom of renal failure. I've found that a whole lot of rest and laying on my left side helps a lot.

I am thinking there's something different going on in my body than pre-e. Maybe some sort of blockage that's causing urine to back up. I was joking with my husband that maybe my baby is like an enlarged prostate or something. :D I'm just curious if anyone has experienced anything like this. Everyone's always been stumped by the fact that I just stop peeing. Surely I'm not the only one that's had this happen.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”