Driving with high blood pressure?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Driving with high blood pressure?

Postby halladay1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 07:58 am

I am on home bed rest due to elevated blood pressure. My blood pressure is normal with lying down, but will go up to ~130/95-100 when sitting up. Is it safe for me to drive to my doctor appointments?
halladay1

Re: Driving with high blood pressure?

Postby sam10 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 04:03 pm

If you are on bedrest, the idea is to limit any kind of activity that could increase your BP. This includes driving a car. To be sure, you can ask your doctor, but I'd think probably not, especially since your BP goes up just when sitting up.
How far along are you?
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: Driving with high blood pressure?

Postby halladay1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 07:03 pm

Thanks for your advice. My first instinct was that I probably had better not drive and thankfully I was able to arrange for someone to take me to my doctor appointment so that my husband didn't have to miss work again. I have been on bedrest since 32 weeks and I am now 35 1/2 weeks. This is my second pregnancy. My first pregnancy I was found to have high blood pressure, a rash over my whole body, and protein in urine at 35 weeks. I was put on bedrest for 1 week and then induced at 36 weeks. This pregnancy I was being watched more closely. My BP was elevated at 32 weeks, but so far no protein in urine, no swelling, no abnormal lab values, and baby measures well. I am now on Labetalol to try to control the BP and it seems to be working as long as I am lying down. Praying that I can make it another couple of weeks! Thanks for your input!!
halladay1

Return to Ask the Experienced