Post Reply FAQ Members Login

New and NEED Help!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

New and NEED Help!

Postby schartrand06 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:59 pm

by schartrand06 (1 Posts), Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:59 pm

I am 24 and currently 28 weeks with my first!! This has been the toughest experience in my life! I have been so sick my entire pregnancy and now this... I have been keeping a very close eye on everything this pregnancy and well recently things have stopped making sense :S

I was recently at my prenatal appointment and my doctor informs me that there has been protein present, in small amounts, in my urine for the length of my pregnancy. She continues on to tell me that this urine sample had slightly higher levels than in the past. The appointment continues on and she takes my blood pressure, my normal blood pressure before and during my pregnancy was 115/80, now it was reading 136/98. With this my doctor becomes concered, she places me in a cold dark room alone and quiet for 20 mins and does another BP, 125/90, better but still not my normal. My doctor informed me that these could be signs of PE and that we will have to continue to monitor.

Fast forward a few days, I am feeling hot, vomiting food and liquid, light headed, and dizzy, I am driven to ER by my husband, and they immediately check my blood pressure, 149/109. WHAT?! , they continue on and do a urine sample, no protein at all. I am pumped with IV fluids told to keep hydrated and stay out of the sun.

I still haven't been feeling 100% at all, or even close to, and I don't have another prenatal until the 29th.

What does all this mean?! would be more than willing to give any other info.
schartrand06

Re: New and NEED Help!

Postby alviarin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:04 am

by alviarin (1645 Posts), Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:04 am

Did they run bloodwork at the hospital to check for HELLP syndrome? How are you feeling today?

Urine dips aren't 100% accurate, so it is still possible to have pre-e even with a negative dip.

With those symptoms indicating possible pre-e (increasing protein, high BP) and your recent ER trip I personally wouldn't be comfortable waiting that long for my next appointment. Could you call and set up an appointment sooner to discuss your concerns with your doc? You could also ask for a referral to a MFM specializing in high risk pregnancies.

Please don't hesitate to go back to L&D if anything feels off. Preeclampsia can move fast.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 pm

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 pm

Just wanted to second the advice. I'm surprised they didn't send you to L&D or have an OB or MFM look you over. I would be sure your OB knows of your latest pressures and request a 24 hour urine catch to get a more accurate read. I routinely dipped negative for protein but my 24 hours were always over 400.

Please keep posted when you can.
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 08:47 pm

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Sat Jul 13, 2013 08:47 pm

Was thinking of you and thought to check on how you are doing? If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them here.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced