Post Reply FAQ Members Login

update- NEW HERE, Questioning if I have early signs of PreE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

update- NEW HERE, Questioning if I have early signs of PreE

Postby CourtEdVi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:01 am

by CourtEdVi (18 Posts), Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:01 am

I just want to give a brief update. I have been increasingly not feeling well. Over the weekend, I was very lack luster, by Sunday had a horrible headache, Sunday night right side pain which was on and off all night, to describe it it is just below my rib cage on the right side, when I yawn or take a deep breath it increases dramatically. I have had this pain before over the last few weeks but it always would just go away and was never untolerable and usually only lasted for a minute or two. I am sure the pain is not the baby pushing on something, because the pain has been in the same exact spot and feels the exact same as it has for weeks, no change in location or type at all. Sunday night I was up a lot during the night due to the side pain, but it would increase and then subside and then present again and subside. By morning it was gone, but I still did not feel well this morning. My waking BP while still in bed was 127/78. My BP has been steadily in the upper 120s/upper 70s consistently all weekend and my heart rate has been in the 105-110 range, spiking to 114 at one point. Normally my BP is in the low 100s/low 60 range, so I feel like my BP is steadily increasing. I did end up going to work today, expecting that I would end up making a doctors appointment, which I did and it is scheduled for late this afternoon with the on-call doctor since my doctor is out this week. My side is hurting again now but again not a constant pain, it subsides a little and peaks back up. I am also seeing spots again today and have a headache, but not as severe as yesterday. I will definitely be asking the doctor for repeat labs and 24 hour and specifically ask them to check for HELLP and PreE. I would like to hear from someone who has had the side pain before and what they experienced. Also anyone with PreE or HELLP without the typically high BP of 140/90 and up.
CourtEdVi

Re: update- NEW HERE, Questioning if I have early signs of P

Postby aln0304820 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:00 am

by aln0304820 (5 Posts), Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:00 am

I'm so sorry you still aren't feeling well. I unfortunately don't have any experience with pre-e without the increasing blood pressure or increasing protein; however, please make sure you mention this pain and how it increases to your doctor this afternoon.... The symptoms you are describing are very notorious with a pulmonary embolism including the headache as well. Pregnancy puts you at an increased risk.

Here is a quick reference page -- http://www.webmd.com/lung/tc/pulmonary- ... m-symptoms

The symptoms of pulmonary embolism may include:

Shortness of breath that may occur suddenly.
Sudden, sharp chest pain that may become worse with deep breathing or coughing.
Rapid heart rate.
Rapid breathing.
Sweating.
Anxiety.
Coughing up blood or pink, foamy mucus.
Fainting.
Heart palpitations.
Signs of shock.
aln0304820

Postby tree » Tue Jul 16, 2013 08:43 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Tue Jul 16, 2013 08:43 pm

How did your appointment go? I had HELLP without ever having blood pressures above 135/85. It is unusual, but it can happen. I had similar abdominal/ side pain that would come and go over a couple of weeks until it got really bad.
I hope your blood work comes back ok and that you are feeling better.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby CourtEdVi » Mon Aug 05, 2013 07:57 am

by CourtEdVi (18 Posts), Mon Aug 05, 2013 07:57 am

Yesterday, my side pains spiked again. Slowly got worse throughout the day by evening it hurt to bend over and was going all the way through to my back. As soon as I laid down for bed, the pain eased. For some reason lying down seems to help. The pain increased when I took deep breaths. This morning, the pain was less, but I feel it more in my back and into my shoulder blade region. It is not unbearable, but certainly noticeable. I do have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I am very short of breath this morning, woke up that way. I just did normal activity, ya know I had made myself a bowl of cereal, brushed my hair, teeth and did my make-up for the day and felt like I had run up and down the steps a couple of times. Still feel out of breath and have a stabing pain in my right shoulder blade. I have my next f/u apt on Thursday so I am hesitant to run to the doctor today. My resent labs did show elevated white blood cells (Neutrophils?) and Luekocytes at 17, which is normal but on the lower side of normal. The rest of my blood work was normal. My most recently 24 hour urine showed 175 g of protein, up from 145 3 weeks ago. Each doctors visit my BP is up a little more, 140/90 2 weeks ago and 130/80 the time before that. I have continued to check it at home and never get a really high reading, usuallyaround 125/75, which is high for me. I have been getting the black spot in my vision along with floaters, but the doctor doesn't seem concerned about them. My eye doctor didn't find anything wrong said my BP must be spiking during the day and I am just not catching it. I have never been so frustrated. This pregnancy has been far from what I know as normal. I have never felt so strongly that something is brewing, but with blood tests not being far out of range and not having protein, my doctor is just not as concerned as I am.
CourtEdVi

Postby jenh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 08:30 am

by jenh (117 Posts), Mon Aug 05, 2013 08:30 am

Your story sounds so similar to my first pregnancy. I reported all my symptoms to my doctor at my 34 week check up, and he had an answer for every one. I had pitting edema (swelling is common in pregnancy), trace protein (nothing to worry about), blood pressure significantly higher than my 90/60 baseline but not over the diagnostic line (nothing to worry about), a headache (probably dehydrated), floaters in my vision (history of migraine), gasping for air even while sitting (the baby's pushing up against my lungs), etc. Each symptom by itself may have been nothing to worry about, but all of them together added up to a giant red flag that my doctor completely ignored. Four days later, I was admitted with severe PE with central nervous system involvement, borderline HELLP syndrome (two of three symptoms, and the third just short of the diagnostic line), and going through an emergency induction. I was transferred by ambulance to a better hospital, and the MFM who took over my care said we should pray the induction worked, because I was so sick a c-section would kill me.

All that to say, you're right to be concerned. PE can get bad fast, so don't feel bad about bothering your doctor even if you just saw him and will see him again in a few days. It's his/her job to make sure you and baby are still okay.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Postby CourtEdVi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:46 am

by CourtEdVi (18 Posts), Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:46 am

Thank you for your reply. My side pain has not been so bad since Sunday, but it is still there just very dull. I have had a bad headache on and off all week and my dark spot has been present most of the day everyday. My BP (with my home monitor) is still okay 120/74, still high for me but okay. I have noticed that my leg swelling is much worse, now pitting edema. I took a picture this weekend and noticed that my face is a lot more swollen then last week and the swelling goes into my neck. My fingers have been more swollen as well. It really sucks having all these very concerning symptoms and nothing to back them up. I go to the doctors tomorrow and I am going to ask for another 24 hour urine and more lab work. So we shall see. . . .
CourtEdVi

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu Aug 08, 2013 05:39 pm

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Thu Aug 08, 2013 05:39 pm

Hope today's appointment went well.

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 06:41 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Mon Aug 12, 2013 06:41 pm

Just thinking of you and wondered how you were doing.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby CourtEdVi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 09:13 pm

by CourtEdVi (18 Posts), Tue Aug 13, 2013 09:13 pm

Thanks for checking in ladies. My doctor is finally taking my symptoms more seriously. My bp was 143/92 at my apt last week and he was concerned enough about the rise in protein to put me out of work and send me home with another 24 hr to do. I handed that in yesterday and had them check my bp while i was there and it was 138/89. I wanted to compare my home monitor to the office readings and found my home monitor was way off. My side pains flared up worse than ever over the weekend even waking me up at night but never unbearable pain and yesterday and today they are hardly there at all. But i have been having weird indigestion like 3 hours after a meal that lasts for hours and several instances of unexplained nausea. I am scheduled for a growth scan for next Thursday which i am nervous about. All along i have felt that this baby has not been active enough. I have not seen this baby roll across my belly yet, jus some kicks and hiccups. Somedays i don't feel much movement at all. Those days i don't sleep well worrying about it. I may end up asking to have that scan done sooner so i can have some peace of mind. As bad as it sounds i feel like i am waiting for bad news. I just have this gut feeling something isn't right.
CourtEdVi

Postby sam10 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 09:56 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Tue Aug 13, 2013 09:56 pm

Two things worry me: your nausea and your gut feeling thar something is off, which is one underestimated 'symptom'. You can check that in the 'Signs and Symptoms' section here : http://www.preeclampsia.org/signs-and-symptoms
If any of your symptoms persist or get worse, please be seen right away and also request bloodwork. You can always go to L&D. I know it is annoying, but all this sounds too worrisome. How far along are you?
Please update as you are able. Thinking of you.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced