update- NEW HERE, Questioning if I have early signs of PreE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: update- NEW HERE, Questioning if I have early signs of P

Postby sam10 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 08:43 pm

I know what you mean when you say you feel your BP is up. I could feel that too. It is hard to explain, but I could feel it in my head. Your facial swelling sounds a lot like what I had in my first pregnancy. It would improve during the day. This, however, does not mean it is not serious. Symptoms can fluctuate to some degree. I would not wait until Thursday, I would try to be seen ASAP and request bloodwork and learn the results of the 24-hour urine. All your symptoms combined including your nausea (even if it comes and goes) sound very worrisome to me. You can always go to L&D. It is their job to make sure you and your baby are ok and if not to do something about it. Thinking of you.
~Julija (42)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/

CourtEdVi

Postby CourtEdVi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 05:40 pm

I have still been up and down. My swelling is worse. I have been waking up with my face, eye lids and hands really swollen but it goes down through the day, but my legs are more swollen then ever. I am definitely starting to feel unwell more often then i feel well. I had another night of insane nausea but i felt fine the next day. My headaches are more frequent. I see the doctor on Thursday and may end up moving the appointment up. I did leave a message with the office Friday for my 24 hour protein results from last week but never got a call back, so i will call again tomorrow. It is very unnerving just waiting for things to worsen enough to warrant attention. This past week, i can feel that my BP is probably high more often. My home monitor which we know is reading low has consistently been reading in the upper 120s/upper 70s range, so my guess is that it has been in the upper 130s/ low 90s range.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 08:27 pm

How have you been the past few days?
~Julija (42)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/

CourtEdVi

Postby CourtEdVi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 03:40 pm

I am 29 weeks today. My symptoms have been so up and down, as soon as i tell myself if it gets worse i am going in, i start to feel better. The past two days i have felt fine, today not so well at all. If it continues overnight or gets worse i will go see the doctor tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 09:56 pm

Two things worry me: your nausea and your gut feeling thar something is off, which is one underestimated 'symptom'. You can check that in the 'Signs and Symptoms' section here : http://www.preeclampsia.org/signs-and-symptoms
If any of your symptoms persist or get worse, please be seen right away and also request bloodwork. You can always go to L&D. I know it is annoying, but all this sounds too worrisome. How far along are you?
Please update as you are able. Thinking of you.
~Julija (42)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011

CourtEdVi

Postby CourtEdVi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 09:13 pm

Thanks for checking in ladies. My doctor is finally taking my symptoms more seriously. My bp was 143/92 at my apt last week and he was concerned enough about the rise in protein to put me out of work and send me home with another 24 hr to do. I handed that in yesterday and had them check my bp while i was there and it was 138/89. I wanted to compare my home monitor to the office readings and found my home monitor was way off. My side pains flared up worse than ever over the weekend even waking me up at night but never unbearable pain and yesterday and today they are hardly there at all. But i have been having weird indigestion like 3 hours after a meal that lasts for hours and several instances of unexplained nausea. I am scheduled for a growth scan for next Thursday which i am nervous about. All along i have felt that this baby has not been active enough. I have not seen this baby roll across my belly yet, jus some kicks and hiccups. Somedays i don't feel much movement at all. Those days i don't sleep well worrying about it. I may end up asking to have that scan done sooner so i can have some peace of mind. As bad as it sounds i feel like i am waiting for bad news. I just have this gut feeling something isn't right.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 06:41 pm

Just thinking of you and wondered how you were doing.
~Julija (42)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu Aug 08, 2013 05:39 pm

Hope today's appointment went well.

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

CourtEdVi

Postby CourtEdVi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:46 am

Thank you for your reply. My side pain has not been so bad since Sunday, but it is still there just very dull. I have had a bad headache on and off all week and my dark spot has been present most of the day everyday. My BP (with my home monitor) is still okay 120/74, still high for me but okay. I have noticed that my leg swelling is much worse, now pitting edema. I took a picture this weekend and noticed that my face is a lot more swollen then last week and the swelling goes into my neck. My fingers have been more swollen as well. It really sucks having all these very concerning symptoms and nothing to back them up. I go to the doctors tomorrow and I am going to ask for another 24 hour urine and more lab work. So we shall see. . . .

jenh

Postby jenh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 08:30 am

Your story sounds so similar to my first pregnancy. I reported all my symptoms to my doctor at my 34 week check up, and he had an answer for every one. I had pitting edema (swelling is common in pregnancy), trace protein (nothing to worry about), blood pressure significantly higher than my 90/60 baseline but not over the diagnostic line (nothing to worry about), a headache (probably dehydrated), floaters in my vision (history of migraine), gasping for air even while sitting (the baby's pushing up against my lungs), etc. Each symptom by itself may have been nothing to worry about, but all of them together added up to a giant red flag that my doctor completely ignored. Four days later, I was admitted with severe PE with central nervous system involvement, borderline HELLP syndrome (two of three symptoms, and the third just short of the diagnostic line), and going through an emergency induction. I was transferred by ambulance to a better hospital, and the MFM who took over my care said we should pray the induction worked, because I was so sick a c-section would kill me.

All that to say, you're right to be concerned. PE can get bad fast, so don't feel bad about bothering your doctor even if you just saw him and will see him again in a few days. It's his/her job to make sure you and baby are still okay.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to three angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), and Declan (5/23/15)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”