CONFUSED ABOUT WHY MY OB FAILED TO NOTICE RISK

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

CONFUSED ABOUT WHY MY OB FAILED TO NOTICE RISK

Postby lkw787 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 04:49 pm

I have posted on this forum before but after nearly dying of HELLP Syndrome three years ago I can't stop wondering why my OB failed to notice that I was at high risk for HELLP.

I was 44, with three prior pregnancy losses, had tested positive for antiphospholipid antibodies, was on a blood thinner so given everything I've read on this forum I was HIGH RISK for eclampsia.

Of course I skipped Pre E, and Eclampsia and went straight to the worst class of HELLP Syndrome, two days after ceasing lovenox injections (at my OB's instructions.)

Now some folks have said that ceasing lovenox should not have caused HELLP to hit but since it did hit so soon after ceasing lovenox and since my pregnancy had been healthy until that point I have a hard time believing this. Am looking for answers.

Thanks!

Lisa
dressagequeen42@gmail.com
lkw787

Re: CONFUSED ABOUT WHY MY OB FAILED TO NOTICE RISK

Postby sam10 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 09:22 am

I often wonder why certain things happened the way they did and am trying to connect the dots when I feel my doctors did not do that; and sometimes it feels that it was all so very obvious. But I am not a doctor and in the end I decided to trust my doctors (I am very picky when it comes to choosing who looks after me).I keep them on my toes, however, with all my questions. :D

The onset of PE/HELLP can be very sudden, very slow, or somewhere in between. Most of the time our bodies have been dealing with the underlying chemical processes that go along with PE/HELLP for quite a while and depending on your disposition, symptoms might show earlier or not at all, until it hits us and we find ourselves amidst a pregnancy crisis.

I am so very sorry you are amongst those rare cases who experienced the very scary and very serious complications of the worst case of HELLP. Not at all an easy birth story to deal with. I wonder if you considered seeing a high-risk ob to consult or go over your case of HELLP, perhaps seek a second opinion?

Sending you hugs.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: CONFUSED ABOUT WHY MY OB FAILED TO NOTICE RISK

Postby jenh » Thu Aug 08, 2013 01:30 pm

The current understanding of PE and related conditions is that it begins with the placenta way back in the first trimester. You were going to get sick eventually with or without the lovenox. If you had continued with it, would it have bought you more time or made it less severe? Maybe, maybe not, but it wouldn't have prevented it completely.

As to whether your doctor should have known something was going on, like sam10 said, consulting with another doctor could help you figure that out. I do know PE/HELLP can strike with little to no warning, so there may not have been anything to tip him/her off. And even when there are early warning signs, they can be subtle and could be normal pregnancy stuff. It can be hard to know even for a doctor whether something is normal or not. My first doctor ignored all my warning signs (there were A LOT), had an answer for everything, and took nothing seriously until I was critically ill. What I went through would *almost* have been worth it if he'd learned from his mistake, but three months later he ignored another woman, and she died. He's no longer in practice. The doctors I chose for later pregnancies took all my concerns seriously and didn't hesitate to monitor me more closely if anything changed, even if it turned out to be nothing.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Return to Ask the Experienced