Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Question about Baby Aspirin

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Question about Baby Aspirin

Postby IBackBevo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:17 am

by IBackBevo (15 Posts), Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:17 am

I had pre-e with number 1 that resulted in my baby having IUGR.

I am now 4 weeks pregnant with number 1. I saw an RE (reproductive endocrinologist) for a consult prior to conceiving...he put me on numerous supplements including baby aspirin, Vitamin D, CoQ10 and some others. I was actually gearing up to do an IVF cycle when I got pregnant naturally. He really isn't my doctor because all I did was go to a consult...we never started the ivf cycle because I got pregnant. However, now I am wondering if I should stay on the baby aspirin. I called my OB's office and talked to a nurse but she was clueless...truly clueless. My OB is out on maternity leave. The office told me to go off of it, but I could tell they were just giving me an answer because they didn't want to be bothered. (This same clinic failed to diagnose my pre-e for several weeks! I had to collect my urine for 24 hours on my own and take it to them in a jug and demand they test it because they kept telling me I was fine even though my bp was insanely high...sure enough, I had pre-e. I'm switching doctors.) Everything I read (including things from the World Health Organization) says that baby aspirin or low dose aspirin is pretty much common general practice to be given to women who are at high risk of developing pre-e...and I am definitely in that category. My husband is a physician and he doesn't know either...

Any thoughts? Were you put on baby aspirin or low dose aspirin? When were you told to take it. It will be a few weeks before I can get in to see a new OB. Thoughts are appreciated.
IBackBevo

Re: Question about Baby Aspirin

Postby angieb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 05:42 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Wed Sep 11, 2013 05:42 pm

I am not a medical professional at all, but my MFM (high risk doctor) had me start low dose aspirin as soon as I got a positive pregnancy test.

I am glad you are switching OB's, honestly, I would also try to get a consult with an MFM or perinatologist as well, they are usually the ones who recommend or don't recommend LDA.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby sam10 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 07:07 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Wed Sep 11, 2013 07:07 pm

I agree with Angie. It probably would be best to add a high-risk OB to your care team for the reminder of your pregnancy. You will get the best info re all the supplements that are best suited for you. You should also receive info what to expect in terms of care during your subsequent pregnancy.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby IBackBevo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:22 am

by IBackBevo (15 Posts), Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks for the replies. I actually ended up calling the RE's office and they told me to stay on the baby aspirin. I knew the OB nurse was just blowing me off. Sigh.

The RE's office offered to monitor me for the first tri, so I think I am going to do that. My OB's office is just too disorganized and I think the fact that she is out just adds to the chaos.

(As an aside, the post above should read that I am expect number 2.)

Are there any other recommendations for supplements that I should ask the doctor about? I've read a lot about Vitamin D.
IBackBevo

Return to Ask the Experienced