Post Reply FAQ Members Login

HELLP twice and considering a 3rd pregnancy - help!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

HELLP twice and considering a 3rd pregnancy - help!

Postby killiegirl » Tue Sep 24, 2013 06:04 am

by killiegirl (9 Posts), Tue Sep 24, 2013 06:04 am

Hi, I've been a member of this site for a couple of years now but barely posted, but reading the other posts helped me so much in my last pregnancy so I hope you don't mind me jumping in now! I'm in the UK but I can see there are other international members.

I had HELLP 2 years ago at 24 weeks, and unfortunately my son passed away at a month old in the NICU. I got pregnant again 4 months later, and took aspirin (75mg/day from conception) and clexane (heparin) (40mg injection/day from 8 weeks) throughout that pregnancy, but developed HELLP again at 35 weeks, luckily late enough to give me a healthy daughter who is now 14 months old. I'd love to give her a living sibling, but having had Class I HELLP twice now I'm told I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it again.

I guess what I want to know if whether anyone else has had HELLP twice and gone on to have another pregnancy, and what happened in that pregnancy? I'm driving myself crazy wondering if we just got lucky 2nd time round or if the meds actually made the difference and therefore would make the difference again. After my first pregnancy I tested positive for APS.
Is there anything else I could be taking that might help? My hospital do look after me well in terms of very regular scans, blood tests, etc so I don't think theres much more than can be done there.

I'm just so scared of it happening early again and can't find anyone else who's been in this situation :(
killiegirl

Re: HELLP twice and considering a 3rd pregnancy - help!

Postby kaxy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:44 am

by kaxy (98 Posts), Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:44 am

Have you met with the high-risk doctors after your daughter's birth? Sounds like what you did for her pregnancy went well, though unfortunately HELLP came back.

Here are two things I found:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... p-syndrome

and

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7943105

Seems like it's quite likely *something* would happen again, whether that's sooner or later it's hard to say. I'm sorry you have to deal with this :(. Such a scary disease.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Re: HELLP twice and considering a 3rd pregnancy - help!

Postby killiegirl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 01:41 pm

by killiegirl (9 Posts), Mon Sep 30, 2013 01:41 pm

Thanks kaxy, no I haven't spoken to her again yet but doubt she will be able to tell me much other than it's likely to happen again.
I was hoping to find someone else who had done it a 3rd time but I'm struggling! x
killiegirl

Return to Ask the Experienced