Question for a friend with pre-e/migraines

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Question for a friend with pre-e/migraines

Postby darateacher » Mon Oct 14, 2013 06:29 am

Hi, all. It's been a LONG while since I've posted. I'm all done with being pregnant, and enjoying my 4.5 year old twin boys. :-)

Question for a friend who is a frequent migraine sufferer when not pregnant, and very much so when pregnant: How does she differentiate between a migraine headache and "the" PE headache? She's had PE with all 3 of her pregnancies, delivered full term, THANK G-D, and is going for #4. Each time, my friend suffers from migraines that she claims are the same as a PE headache. Her symptoms of the headaches are very similar. How can I help her to differentiate symptoms?

Thanks!

Dara
darateacher

Re: Question for a friend with pre-e/migraines

Postby princess purr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 03:22 am

I would think the best way to tell would be for her to take her blood pressure and maybe monitor her protein at home. I have had non-pregnant sinus headaches that were why worse then anything I had in the hospital when I had severe PE.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby alviarin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 04:21 pm

I've had pre-e three times, and countless migraines, but I have never experienced the "pre-e headache". Even with severe preeclampsia with my first.

My doctors never told me of a way to differentiate between a migraine or a pre-e headache. Basically once I was in preeclampsia territory (blood pressure and/or proteinura trending up) they took any migraines very seriously. And wanted to know about any possible symptoms, including head pain that didn't respond to OTC meds.

I was almost induced a few days early this last pregnancy because of a migraine. Fortunately it responded to medication and went away, but at the time my doctor was very close to sending me to L&D and starting an induction.

Basically I would take any possible pre-e symptoms seriously. And that that sounds like a really good question for your friend to discuss with her doctors. In my case, my OB wanted to know about every possible symptom once my BP went up from baseline, including migraines. I was checking my blood pressure at home every day as well.

Hope this helps!
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:06 am

alviarin wrote:I've had pre-e three times, and countless migraines, but I have never experienced the "pre-e headache". Even with severe preeclampsia with my first.

My doctors never told me of a way to differentiate between a migraine or a pre-e headache. Basically once I was in preeclampsia territory (blood pressure and/or proteinura trending up) they took any migraines very seriously. And wanted to know about any possible symptoms, including head pain that didn't respond to OTC meds.

I was almost induced a few days early this last pregnancy because of a migraine. Fortunately it responded to medication and went away, but at the time my doctor was very close to sending me to L&D and starting an induction.

Basically I would take any possible pre-e symptoms seriously. And that that sounds like a really good question for your friend to discuss with her doctors. In my case, my OB wanted to know about every possible symptom once my BP went up from baseline, including migraines. I was checking my blood pressure at home every day as well.

Hope this helps!

I never had "the" headache either with both of my pregnancies, but had sever PE. I also had massive sinus issues from 1st trimester until a few weeks after birth, and that included sinus headaches with pressure and pain between the eyebrows and just above my cheekbones. Ugh!

She has migraines on a weekly basis, and really needs to see the doctor, IMO when not pregnant! :shock: I'll have her talk to her doc, as well, once she's sure she's pg with #4. So far, they're just TTC and is waiting for O. She also has massive blurred vision with her non-pg migraines. I would think this would make it extra tricky for her OB to differentiate when she is pg. What do you think? Thank you so much for your help, ladies!!!! My friend's health worries me, because she doesn't want to see a doc for anything unless she's down with a fever for over a week.

Dara

Return to Ask the Experienced