Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Re: New Tests

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Postby ambersjourney » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:05 am

by ambersjourney (366 Posts), Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:05 am

Hi everyone :) My youngest is going to be 5 in April. So it's been awhile since I was preggo. 4 weeks and 5 days with #4! I am wondering if there have been new developemnts in the past 5 years or so, in determining pre e, etc? I thought I heard that there was a test being developed to determine early in pregnancy is a mom was going to develope Preeclampsia. What is the name of this test and is it being used? Thanks!
ambersjourney

Postby caryn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 08:26 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Sun Oct 27, 2013 08:26 pm

Yes - several changes. The test is only on the market in Europe but is sooo close for the US. There are new screening tests that became available in June for trisomies and gender determination before week 12. There are some changes in management - less in the way of injectable blood thinners and bedrest than we used to see. There are prevention trials running in Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, and Seattle.

Do you have an appointment set with an MFM yet? What exciting news!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby ambersjourney » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:43 pm

by ambersjourney (366 Posts), Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Thanks for your reply Caryn :) I have my first appointment tomorrow and will be referred to a MFM to see for co-management.

Do you mean that Docs are using blood thinners and bedrest less or that there is less change that area of management?

You have my interest on that test that determines sex before 12 weeks! What is the name of this test?
ambersjourney

Postby caryn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:48 am

by caryn (10111 Posts), Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:48 am

Sorry! That docs are using blood thinners and bedrest less. There are only a handful of indications for them - APS gals will still be anticoagulated - and the majority of the population does not benefit.

I can't remember the brand names of the test (I want to say Verify is one?) but they test cell-free fetal DNA, which is available in the maternal bloodstream. So it's a simple blood draw, and then they check for trisomy 13, 18, 21, and - if you request - gender.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby princess purr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 04:54 am

by princess purr (1092 Posts), Mon Nov 04, 2013 04:54 am

What I have noticed between my consult 9 years ago, and the consult I had with the MFM right before getting pregnant was they aren't talking about diet or supplements as much as they used to. It seems like everyone is on dha (which is kinda like fish oil from what I understand), my mfm no longer does baby aspirin for everyone (but I'm one of those APS girls, so baby aspirin and lovenex for me), they also normally don't do bedrest, which they don't have me on... but they took me out of work at 24ish weeks due to my blood pressure going up (stress related I think), so I have kind of had myself on couch potato rest and my b/p has been doing okay (knock on wood!). Congrats and good luck!!!!!
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Return to Ask the Experienced