Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Pre-PreEclamsia? Any Advice is appreciated

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Pre-PreEclamsia? Any Advice is appreciated

Postby Deerely » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:22 am

Hi, I'm new to this site and just wanted to introduce myself and maybe get some advise as to the symptoms I've been having. This is my first pregnancy and I'm currently 30 weeks due feb 25th 2014. I have been feeling off since about 20 weeks, no real symptom just feeling ill like something is wrong. Since about 24 weeks I've started getting swelling and headaches. The swelling isn't horrible but it's deffinately obvious and it seems to be my whole body feet, ankles, hands, arms, face, neck etc. With the facial swelling being the most noticible (people at work asking me what's wrong etc.). The headaches come and go but are very severe they make me nauseous and dizzy I see spots with them, nothing particular triggers them and they make it impossible to function normally or drive. At 28 weeks my bp started to be mildly elivated my norm is 90/60 and since 28 weeks it's fluctuated from 125-135/77-88. Because of the elivation my midwife had me do a 24 hr urine which came back normal at 220. She also ran bloodwork, all normal. Last week I also experianced a couple bouts of shortness of breath and chest pain, I do have asthma but it has not been a problem in years and seemed to be better with pregnancy. The shortness of breath wasn't resolved with albeuterol either which normaly stops any asthma problems. In the past week my symptoms have all gotten much worse with the headaches landing me in the er two nights ago. I've also developed pain under my right shoulderblade, a deep pinching feeling. They ran bloodwork again in the er all still normal and I was diagnosed with migraines and released.
What I'd like to know is has anyone had this same experiance? I have no history of migraines or even headaches, can they crop up first time during pregnancy? And do they cause all of these problems? Is what I'm going through just normal pregnancy symptoms? Is it ok to feel awful all of the time? Why can I not shake the feeling that something is terribly wrong?
Thank you for your advise, I greatly appreciate it.
Deerely

Re: Pre-PreEclamsia? Any Advice is appreciated

Postby alviarin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 09:26 pm

HI, welcome to the forums.

I have to say with those symptoms I'd be nervous too.

The NIH Working Group Report on Hypertension in Pregnancy said any significant elevation of pressures above normal non-pregnant baseline (30/15) "warrants close observation". Which was repeated by the recent ACOG Task Force report on Hypertension in Pregnancy.

How often are your appointments now?
In your shoes I'd request a repeat 24 hour urine to see if my protein levels were trending up (or not.)

Also, if anything changes or you just plain feel "off" please don't be afraid to call your healthcare provider or head back to L&D to get checked out. My main symptom of preeclampsia with my first pregnancy was feeling weak & short of breath. Preeclampsia can progress quickly so better safe than sorry. Here is a link to our signs & symptom page if you haven't seen it already: http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... d-symptoms
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby jenh » Sat Dec 21, 2013 08:50 am

What you're describing is almost exactly what I went through in my first pregnancy. Even though I had so many warning signs, I didn't meet the diagnostic criteria of 140/90, so my doctor blew me off. He never checked urine or blood beyond a dip test, so you're already being more closely monitored than I was. When I finally did get diagnosed, I was critically ill. If I were you, I'd keep pushing to repeat the tests often. If you never do get PE, no harm done. But if you do, you'll know as soon as possible and be able to get appropriate treatment.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Postby marilyn621 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:48 am

220 seems a bit high to me, considering the threshold is 300. My doctors blew me off as well. He never even told me what my labs were until I finally asked him what my 24 hr test that had been ordered by the doctor on call TWO WEEKS before was. And even then he had to look it up. And I never knew the results of my blood tests, but was told they were "fine." I doubt they were, since I had symptoms of HELLP in both of my pregnancies. I agree that you should ask for a repeat. It can slowly trend upward, or it can shoot up out of control. Same with the BP.
Scarlett Elizabeth born 12-16-05, 40wks +3, severe PE
Miscarried 11/2011
Rachel Irene born 9-19-12, chronic hypertension and mild PE, induced at 37wks+3,delivered via c-section 37wks+5
marilyn621

Return to Ask the Experienced