Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Can Pre-Eclampsia 'Fluctuate' in the Beginning?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Can Pre-Eclampsia 'Fluctuate' in the Beginning?

Postby lts709 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 00:00 am

by lts709 (6 Posts), Sat Dec 28, 2013 00:00 am

Hi, everyone. I'm new here, and I had a question.
But first: on Christmas morning I woke up feeling.... well, like complete crap. I was very lightheaded and had a headache. The lightheadedness got better after a while, but the headache remained for a while, and after the lightheadedness I was extremely tired the rest of the day. Well, I woke up again the 26th, feeling the same way. Eventually the lightheadedness got better, but took longer to ho away. The headache, got better, but stayed all day. Again, I was extremely tired the rest of the day. This time, I took my blood pressure. 148/92. That was in the late morning. I continued to feel off te the whole 2 days. I'm 31 weeks, and I recalled my midwife telling me I had protein in my urine at my 30 week appointment. I emailed her to let her know my new symptoms, including the blood pressure. I continued to monitor my blood pressure last night, it was high, not dangerously high, though (systolic stayed over 140, diastolic stayed at about 95, but went up to 98 once. My midwife wants me to get some tests done, and has referred me to MFM, I'm supposesd to hear from them by Monday. However, I took my blood pressure this morning, and now its normal. And has been all day, for the most part. The highest my diastolic has been is 86.... Now I can't help but wonder, am I worried over nothing? Can early pre-eclampsia fluctuate like that. I also woke up with no lightheadedness.. and I've basically felt fine all day. I should also add that at my 30 week appointment, baby was measuring 24 weeks according to fondal height. So either way I'm going to MFM, but now I feel silly for worrying about the possibility of pre-eclampsia, only to have my symptoms go away after a couple of days.... has anyone. else experienced this? Thank you.
lts709

Re: Can Pre-Eclampsia 'Fluctuate' in the Beginning?

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat Dec 28, 2013 07:40 pm

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Sat Dec 28, 2013 07:40 pm

Yes, if you read across the stories here on the boards you'll find many different starts to pre-e. Some have a slow start... with fluctuating pressures for awhile, called labile pressures- it goes up... it goes down... it goes up.. and some have a very very very rapid onset. We were a slow onset, and for a bit thought it might "just" be pregnancy induced hypertension (which either way puts you at higher risk for pre-e).

I'm glad you will be seeing an MFM, and hope they will see you sooner rather than later- like early this week. You'll want to have a 24 hour urine collection done so you can have an accurate read on what your protein levels are and a thorough ultrasound to monitor baby's measurements and overall health, as well as blood work. Please be sure to review all the signs and symptoms of pre-e, and trust your gut. If you don't feel right, and symptoms are adding up, it doesn't hurt to take yourself to L&D to get checked out, especially with baby maybe measuring behind schedule. Don't worry if it's the middle of Sunday.. the middle of the night or New Years Eve for that matter. Your peace of mind and health are always worth it... and they are there working anyway. :)

Here's the signs and symptoms- http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... d-symptoms

Keep posted when you can!
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 09:13 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Sat Dec 28, 2013 09:13 pm

I am glad you posted your question and asked. As Lauren said there are different ways that women experience the onset of PE. My BP (I just know it from the second time around), would only spike very occasionally, and not even much (below the threshold of 140/90). But those "higher" pressures got more frequent and higher and higher. The reason for this is that your body is trying to deal/repair, so you'll see the pressures go down again for a while. But usually and eventually the BP stays high.
Please be seen if you feel off. If you have a reading of 140/90, please call your care provider or be seen to be checked, especially if you already have protein in your urine and your baby is measuring small. I am glad you will be seen by an MFM on Monday.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby bk432 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:58 pm

by bk432 (3 Posts), Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:58 pm

I echo the earlier responses. My wife was throwing up last Thanksgiving, but everything was okay for the most part for the next 10 days. By early December, we were finally admitted and five days later had our son at just shy of 29 weeks gestation. It seemed to hit and then go away for a while, spiking in hypertension symptoms only on occasion. Glad you're getting checked. We are all okay, and you will be too with proper caution.
bk432

Postby lts709 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:33 pm

by lts709 (6 Posts), Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:33 pm

Thank you all for replying. Ill admit, I thought I was just going crazy.... or worrying over nothing. My blood pressure has still maintained normal levwels, although my diastolic likes to creep into the upper 80s. At one point it was 89.... It did go up to 91 tonight, but I wasn't sure if that was due to the fact that I had a pretty irritating conversation with someone about pre-eclampsia (a family member).... This is actually my 3rd ptegnancy. I had pregnancy induced hypertension with my 1st 2. My 1st pregnancy I had swelling, and my blood pressure went through the roof during labor. To the point where I almost passed out and they hooked me up to magnesium sulfate. It took 2 weeks, roughly, for it to go back to
normal. My 2nd pregnancy was a little better. My blood pressure spiked but didn't get to the point of needing magnesium. I didn't have protein in either case. At least not to the point of classifying as preeclampsia.
I started worrying this time when I was told my fondal height was measuring small, but I never thought about pre-eclampsia until the urine dipstick was picking up more protein than previous (it was 1+, I believe) and my blood pressure spikes about a week later. I'm still waiting to hear from MFM, I was told if I didn't hear from them by Monday, to let my midwife know, and she'd get a hold of them again. I will definitely keep everyone posted. :) Thank you all again!
lts709

Postby lts709 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:35 pm

by lts709 (6 Posts), Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:35 pm

And excuse the typos. I'm currently typing from my phone. :)
lts709

Postby MomTimesThree » Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:48 pm

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:48 pm

I'm surprised given your history you weren't seen by an MFM earlier- at least for a consult. If you're not able to been seen on Monday, I would ask that you at least start a 24 hour catch on Monday and labwork so they have it all to review at your appointment.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby lts709 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 07:27 am

by lts709 (6 Posts), Tue Dec 31, 2013 07:27 am

I don't know honestly. When I was pregnant with my 2nd my doctor never even mentioned seeing MFM. Im somewhat guessing because there was not enough protein present either pregnancy to be labeled pre-eclampsia (they never told me my protein levels anyway. Just said the tests came back negative for pre-eclampsia). And my blood pressure wasn't as high with my 2nd, they didnt even need to treat it like they had to with my 1st (mag. sulfate and hbp meds during and after my 1st labor). So I guess I never gave it much thought either until these problems started cropping up recently. My blood pressure has been great besides that bout during those 2 days around Christmas..... So I guess that's why they didn't recommend MFM sooner. But I'm not entirely sure....
lts709

Postby lts709 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 07:33 am

by lts709 (6 Posts), Tue Dec 31, 2013 07:33 am

They also told me during my 2nd labor that my.high blood pressure was probably due to me being in so much pain (low pain tolerance here :p), since I didn't have pre-eclampsia, thats what they chalked it up to ultimately so...
lts709

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri Jan 03, 2014 00:14 am

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Fri Jan 03, 2014 00:14 am

I hope they get you in soon with baby maybe measuring behind and your history of high blood pressure. Do keep posted as you're able.
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced