Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Suddenly high BP. What do I do?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Suddenly high BP. What do I do?

Postby brigidmary » Sun Jan 26, 2014 04:13 am

by brigidmary (60 Posts), Sun Jan 26, 2014 04:13 am

Hi, guys! You've helped me through two pregnancies, and I'm back again. I'm almost 35 weeks pregnant, and for the first time, I've been having a normal pregnancy. I had preeclampsia with my first, which led to an emergency C-Section at 33 weeks. Second pregnancy led to HELLP and an early C-Section at 36 weeks. Both boys are doing great. This pregnancy I've been watched and evaluated the whole time, but no sign of high blood pressure or protein in the urine. A week ago, I called because my feet were swelling, but I didn't have headaches or any other problems, and they just told me to keep drinking water and to call if I had any other problems. My mom, an RN, took my BP, and it was 120/75, so no concerns there.

Well, yesterday, my hands started hurting. They felt really stiff. My feet are still swollen. I stopped by my mom's last night and asked her to take my blood pressure, and suddenly, it was high: 150/95. I was having a really stressful day so I said I would go home, chill out, have dinner with my family, and take it again before bed. (I have a battery-operated monitor.) Last night it was 161/100. This morning it was 150/99.

I still don't have headaches. I actually feel pretty good. This is the first pregnancy where I don't feel terrible. My next prenatal appointment is this coming Thursday. Can I hold off on calling for four days? Or should I call based on the blood pressures alone?
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)
http://www.brigidkemmerer.com
brigidmary

Re: Suddenly high BP. What do I do?

Postby brigidmary » Sun Jan 26, 2014 05:50 am

by brigidmary (60 Posts), Sun Jan 26, 2014 05:50 am

I realized I was being stupid and I was avoiding calling because I was afraid of the results. I called. I'm going in for blood work.
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)
brigidmary

Postby sam10 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 09:32 am

by sam10 (1436 Posts), Sun Jan 26, 2014 09:32 am

I am glad you called. Those numbers are too high to wait around. Please feel free to update as you are able. .
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby brigidmary » Sun Jan 26, 2014 01:22 pm

by brigidmary (60 Posts), Sun Jan 26, 2014 01:22 pm

I went in and my admitting BP was 143/89. They had me lie on my side, and it dropped significantly. They did blood work and everything looked normal, so even though I had one more high BP (149/70), they sent me home. Baby looks good, so that's that. I have an appointment with my OB on Thursday, and then I'm scheduled for weekly appointments after that, so I know I'll have regular monitoring.
Brigid Kemmerer
brigidmary

Postby caryn » Sun Jan 26, 2014 02:07 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Sun Jan 26, 2014 02:07 pm

I remember Nicholas's birth - and your doc who kept blowing off your symptoms - so I'm awfully glad you went in. Are you scheduled for a growth u/s or a BPP any time soon?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced