Diastolic vs. Systolic Pressure

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Diastolic vs. Systolic Pressure

Postby 3LittleBlessings » Sat Feb 08, 2014 08:05 pm

Does anyone know the difference between diastolic and systolic pressures? I've noticed in the last few days that my systolic pressure goes from normal to hypertensive and back again, but my diastolic has stayed consistently high (between 95-110). Just curious as to what that number means, and how concerned I should be if only that number remains high.
Mary

Proud Mommy of
Shannon (born 6/5/10, induction at 36 wks due to PROM)
Natalie (born 9/12/12, induction at 38 wks due to preeclampsia)
Jonathan (born 2/14/14, emergency c-section at 39 wks due to a prolapsed cord with mild PIH)
3LittleBlessings

Re: Diastolic vs. Systolic Pressure

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Feb 10, 2014 03:11 am

Your systolic is more prone to environmental changes- like stress.. activity etc. Your diastolic tends to be more steady- so what you're experiencing is common... and those are high diastolic pressures. Remember you don't need both to be high for your blood pressure to be considered high.. just that 110 diastolic puts you in the veeeery high range. Don't hesitate to get checked out, and again if the one hospital isn't taking you seriously, go to a different one in your area that has MFM (high risk OBs) on staff.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced