by SarahKL (1 Posts), Wed Mar 19, 2014 05:08 pm
This is my first post, though I've read and reread much of the information on the site in the last few months. I lost my baby, Henry, 9 weeks ago, and I just wanted to share my story and also let you all know how helpful it is to read your stories, as well.
My blood pressure had been creeping up throughout my first and second trimesters, and I was put on bp meds at 20 weeks. Around 22 weeks I was given instructions to complete a 24-hour urine test, just as a baseline, so that if I DID end up developing other any pre-e symptoms later in pregnancy, we'd have something to compare it to. (I hadn't had any protein in my urine at any of my office visits.)
The results came back from my 24 hour test at 1600 mg., and I was sent straight to the hospital. They were hoping that there had been a lab error (as I hadn't had ANY protein in my most recent office visit sample.) When the 24-hour test was redone at the hospital, it had already increased to 3600 mg., and my blood pressure was 180/115. I was stabilized and remained on bed rest at the hospital for another two weeks or so, and my liver and kidney functions stayed fairly stable during this time. My platelets were dropping slowly, but were high enough that I could remain pregnant.
Once I hit the 24 week mark, the baby started to be more closely monitored, and it was clear that he was beginning to struggle. The blood flow through the umbilical cord was beginning to become compromised and his heart rate was starting to show some decelerations. At 24w3d, the doctors decided that he would have a better chance on the outside, and Henry was born via emergency c-section on the morning of January 15th. He lived for 22 minutes while the NICU team worked on him, but his lungs just hadn't developed enough. (I had been given the steroid shots about 5 days prior, but he was very small for his gestational age, 480 grams, and had only gained about 40 grams during my two weeks of bed rest in the hospital.) It was, and continues to be, the hardest thing I've ever experienced, but we have had wonderful support from the hospital staff, our families and friends, and a local support group for infant loss.
I have many questions for people who have been in a similar situation, but know that many of them have already been addressed in other posts so have been searching those out in the last few weeks. Mainly, I'm curious to know about people's experiences with subsequent pregnancies after severe, early-onset pre-e. My MFMs have said that, if after testing, no underlying conditions are found, I have about a 70% chance of recurrence, and that it may come just as early, or could come later. If you had a recurrence, did it come later? What was the outcome?
Also, I've noticed that many people seem to be prescribed lovenox or other blood-thinning injections in subsequent pregnancies. Are these only used if a blood-clotting disorder was detected, or are they ever used as a preventative measure?
Thanks to everyone who has shared their story here- it's so helpful to read about other people's experiences.