Being induced Monday at 36 weeks .... Scared

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Being induced Monday at 36 weeks .... Scared

Postby akelly09 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:04 am

Iv been booked in for induction 7:30 Monday morning due to pre eclampsia and my lab work starting to change. I'll be 36 weeks exactly I'm really scared, iv had steroids at 32 weeks, will my baby be ok? Anyone else been induced at 36 was it a long process? Do all babies need special care when born early?

Any advice or stories good or bad would be really appreciated.

Xx
akelly09

Re: Being induced Monday at 36 weeks .... Scared

Postby sam10 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:13 am

My daughter was born a few days shy of 36 weeks (via repeat c-section)She only stayed in the NICU for the mandatory 18 hours for observation. She was in a warming bed for 2 or 3 days in total. She has no issues and is a healthy toddler today. Breastfeeding was a bit of a challenge at first (due to her smaller size), but we both learned quickly how to deal with it.
36 weekers do usually quite well.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri Mar 28, 2014 05:41 pm

Hi There-

First, congratulations on making it to 36 weeks... this is a big milestone, especially for having dealt with pre-eclampsia since 32 weeks or even earlier. You've done good mama!

Is this your first pregnancy/birth? Remember, that even though this is an induction, and earlier than you planned for, you can still keep many elements that you might have already put in a birth plan. This is still you and your baby's special day! :)

Our daughter was induced at 36 weeks. She had just a short NICU stay- though it was a difficult pregnancy/labor on her - I also had gestational diabetes and an abruption during labor. I think sans those two things she would have had no problems. In general 36 weekers do great- maybe need a lil' extra observation for good measure and most are home with mama.

The length of your induction will depend a lot on how you are starting out to begin with- and then just the way you labor in general. Ask lots of questions - just because you are being induced early doesn't mean you loose your voice in the process.

Keep posted as you're able, I'll be thinking health wishes for you and baby!
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby angieb » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:44 pm

DS1 was born at 36+1 day after an amnio and spent no time in the NICU at all.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby jenh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:33 am

I've had three inductions for PE, at 35, 36, and 37 weeks. Only the 35-weeker had NICU time, and in hindsight she probably didn't *need* to be there, she did great from the start. Your baby is still premature, so problems are obviously possible, but 36 weekers usually do really well. As for the induction, I'd ask your doctor about your Bishop score. This tells how favorable your body is for induction. If it's unfavorable, that doesn't necessarily mean you should have a c-section instead, but your labor may take longer and you/hospital staff should be more patient in waiting for it to work. My first induction, the 35-weeker and with a low Bishop score, took 26.5 hours start to finish. As long as we were both stable, though, the MFM who took over my case wanted to wait it out rather than rush to surgery just because it was taking so long. My second, the 37-weeker and with a moderate Bishop score, took 13.5 hours start to finish. My third, 36-week twins and with a very high Bishop score, took 4.5 hours start to finish, and Twin A was born unassisted because the doctor didn't get there in time. I think I would have gone into labor naturally that day anyway if we'd waited a few more hours.

Good luck and best wishes.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Postby sam10 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 08:25 pm

Yesterday was your big day. Kept all my fingers crossed.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced