when to see doctor

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

when to see doctor

Postby whitann06 » Wed May 07, 2014 05:12 pm

Hi all,
I lost my son when I developed preeclampsia at 24 weeks almost 2 years ago. We are ready to start trying again, but have just moved to a new state. I know I will be a high risk pregnancy, but my previous doctor did not give us much advice about how to handle the future. My question is, since I know I will be high risk, how soon before trying to conceive should I seek out a new doctor, and do I find a regular OB, or can I go straight to a high-risk doctor without having a referral for one and before any symptoms arise? Any advice is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Whitney
For baby Jackson, born an angel 12/11/12
whitann06

Re: when to see doctor

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed May 07, 2014 07:45 pm

I'm very sorry for the loss of your sweet Jackson.

It's actually quite common to do a pre-conception appointment- especially with your history. They can review everything and see if there are any underlying conditions that they'll want to rule out.

Since pregnancy after loss can be very stressful- I think you might also find it helpful to have your providers selected before the pregnancy even starts. That way you can be sure you find people you feel comfortable with and know what your plan will be for your next pregnancy.

You can search for MFMs in your area at the society for maternal fetal Medicine website. Sometimes your insurance will require an OB to make a referral to a MFM so you might have to start with an OB.

Keep posted as you're able.
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced