Post Reply FAQ Members Login

WHY is the diet myth so pervasive among midwives?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

WHY is the diet myth so pervasive among midwives?

Postby CptSpacely » Fri Jun 20, 2014 05:37 pm

by CptSpacely (12 Posts), Fri Jun 20, 2014 05:37 pm

This isn't the first time I've encountered this, but it REALLY got my blood boiling today. I belong to another forum where a pregnant woman asked questions about what's normal for pregnancy swelling. A woman claiming to be a midwifery assistant advised the poster to add more salt, protein, and calories to her diet in order to avoid PE. The thread and my response to it are here: http://www.tcoyf.com/forums/t/278549.aspx

WHY are midwives still being taught this B.S.? They are medical professionals, you'd think that they would be taught what constitutes scientific methodology, or at least be taught the current understanding of diseases of pregnancy! GRRR!!!

I just had to vent. I don't know anyone IRL who would really understand my frustration.
DS: Born via C-section on 7/4/12 at 33w5d after sudden onset of severe PE. Now a happy, healthy toddler!
CptSpacely

Re: WHY is the diet myth so pervasive among midwives?

Postby caryn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 08:09 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Wed Jun 25, 2014 08:09 pm

From what I can tell, CPMs are still being taught this because their certification (which comes through the Midwifery Association of North America) doesn't route past universities so much or, you know, modern basic pregnancy science. The sheer biological implausibility of this claim has become apparent in the past decade, but their sources are older than that.

I would need to use the Wayback Machine to pull their recommended sources, as they're not listing them on the webpage for North American Registry of Midwives any longer, but most of them were quite out of date the last I checked. Anne Frye, Ina Mae Gaskin, Helen Varney, etc. A few years ago I did do this, pulled all the texts and read the sections on preeclampsia. Every last one of them explained preeclampsia using Brewer's mechanism. Cranky writing followed; I tried to get a few professional magazines to pick it up, but they told me that it "wasn't of interest to a sufficient number of readers." Because only one in twenty women gets this, and they don't have families?

There's some pushback within the community itself, which is promising: http://navelgazingmidwife.squarespace.c ... amned.html and http://birthunplugged.blogspot.com/2011 ... s-not.html
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 08:18 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Wed Jun 25, 2014 08:18 pm

Also, nice reply! I have noticed people are confused by the list of HYPOTHESES. But those are "explanations people have floated as trial balloons" and lots of 'em have been popped in subsequent followup research. Many are still being investigated - every once in a while someone even runs a diet trial - but the evidence that diet could be related is pretty sketchy and mostly epidemiological. Samples matter, and those studies are almost always using old and geographically narrow samples; modern work keeps shooting down dietary explanations.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby CptSpacely » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 pm

by CptSpacely (12 Posts), Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Caryn. Sorry I didn't see it sooner. I was on an extended break from the internet. I find that necessary for mental health from time to time. ;-)
DS: Born via C-section on 7/4/12 at 33w5d after sudden onset of severe PE. Now a happy, healthy toddler!
CptSpacely

Return to Ask the Experienced