Trace of protein at 18 weeks?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: Trace of protein at 18 weeks?

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat Jul 19, 2014 06:39 am

Hi there-

So glad to hear you were able to hang on until 36 weeks with your daughter.

I'm guessing the trace was with the dips they do at the office? While it can be a red flag- It's within the range of normal to have trace- especially given that the dips are notoriously inaccurate. In a subsequent pregnancy after pre-e a 24 hour urine test is often done to establish baseline protein output. Sometimes there is damage from the previous pregnancy- and some people just naturally spill a bit. For example in our case in our 3rd pregnancy- my protein came back at 200 something at 11ish weeks. So that became my baseline for the remainder of my pregnancy- so when it rose to 400 we weren't as concerned be ause I started at 200.

So good you did a full 24 hour to establish a baseline. If you haven't already you might also request a federal to a high risk on (MFM) who can work with your Ob to chart a course ahead- which is hopefully all smooth sailing!! Your blood pressure is awesome! And good that you've got a baseline e established there too.

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

zoey

Trace of protein at 18 weeks?

Postby zoey » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:17 am

I developed PE at 31/32 weeks with my daughter in 2007 and had a C/S at 36 weeks. I'm now pregnant again and I'm 18+3, I had an OB appointment last week and urine was clear, had another appointment today and it showed a trace of protein. My blood pressure is good, sitting at 125/75.
I'm not concerned at the moment, but am worried that this means I will develop PE again. They've done a urine and blood test that should be back tomorrow and my next appointment is in 4 weeks.
Has anyone else had protein show up this early? And what was the outcome?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”