Help- advice for my sister!!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Help- advice for my sister!!

Postby alviarin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 04:11 pm

Here is a link to a recent reccomendation for low-dose aspirin use among certain high-risk women:
http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforc ... inalrs.htm

You can scroll down to the risk assessment table to see if your sister has any additonal risk factors besides family history; if so the reccomendation is something she could discuss with her doctor.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Help- advice for my sister!!

Postby alviarin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 05:15 pm

I can definitely relate, I was so nervous when my "baby" sister was pregnant. Fortunately she never developed preeclampsia. Actually I am the only sister (out of the 4 of us girls) who developed pre-e during pregnancy.

Although a mom or a sister with pre-e is a risk factor, aspirin use in pregnancy is not considered risk-free. So low dose aspirin is only recommended for some of us high risk ladies, where the benefits might outweigh the risks.

In your shoes I'd make sure my sis knows signs and symptoms of preeclampsia, and encourage her not to skip any doctors appointments.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Nickipetersen@hotmail.com

Help- advice for my sister!!

Postby Nickipetersen@hotmail.com » Tue Aug 19, 2014 01:45 am

Help! My sister is newly pregnant for the 1st time and I'm worried about her getting pre-e due to my history with it (sudden, strong onset and delivery at 28 weeks). I took baby asprin throughout my second pregnancy and had no symptoms whatsoever. I'm wondering if I should encourage her to take baby asprin. Also, at what point in the pregnancy is it "too late" to see the benefits on the spiral arteries?

I told her to ask her doc but he told her that pre-e has no genetic component and that she has no increased chance of developing it because of a family history (in other words, he doesn't know diddily squat about pre-e & I don't trust his advice to her :)

Thanks!
Nicole

Return to “Ask the Experienced”