Migraine off and on for a week at 36 weeks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Migraine off and on for a week at 36 weeks

Postby alviarin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 02:37 pm

I would also request a 24 hour urine. My OB wanted one anytime there were any changes. This last pregnancy I was almost induced for a migraine at 36 weeks, since my BP had gone up above my normal baseline and my protein level was trending up. I was also being seen twice a week at that point. Fortunately my migraine responded to medication and I was able to hang in there another week.

I'm one of those ladies with mostly negative or trace urine dips even when spilling diagnostic amounts of protein based on a 24 hour urine test.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

jenh

Re: Migraine off and on for a week at 36 weeks

Postby jenh » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:38 am

One of the difficult things about PE is that many symptoms could be warning signs, or they could just be regular pregnancy stuff, or they could be unrelated. If I were you, I'd want to run basic blood work and a 24 hour urine test. How often do you check your blood pressure? For many women, it starts fluctuating up and down before it goes up and stays up. Checking a few times a day with a home cuff can help you see what's going on. Sorry you're dealing with the headaches.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

klweee

Migraine off and on for a week at 36 weeks

Postby klweee » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:47 pm

I'm a normal migraine sufferer but haven't had any since the first trimester until now at 36 weeks. And I just can't seem to shake this one. My pre-pregnancy blood pressure is usually 120-130/70-80. During pregnancy, it went down to the 110's/50-70. Now at 36 weeks it is back up to my pre-pregnancy levels. My midwife has only checked for protein in my urine once a month or so ago and found none. I have no swelling, no vision changes, no pain in the upper right quadrant. My midwife has prescribed fioricet but I don't want to take it due to the risks. My question is...does this sound like a pre-e? Did anyone have pre-e that only presented with a persistant headache? What should I be doing to be my own advocate?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”