Coping With Diagnosis

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
isjocelyns

Coping With Diagnosis

Postby isjocelyns » Sun Mar 31, 640216 11:12 am

Hello, all!

I found this forum through an old thread about natural childbirth with preeclampsia, and I found it to be such a comforting read that I knew I had to join!

I am over 38 weeks and have just been diagnosed with preeclampsia after repeated high blood pressure readings (155/90, 148/95) while on labetelol and 383 protein count after a recent 24 hour urine. Although multiple blood test show everything is functioning perfectly, I have zero symptoms, and baby is healthy and on the larger end of things, my history -prior to pregnancy- of mysterious high bp (I am a very active, healthy person that has stumped many a doctor with this.) has my midwives releasing me into the care of a hospital and OB. I have done so much to ensure I have been in good health throughout this pregnancy, so to receive this diagnosis and to have my dreams of a holistic childbirth in a free standing birth center be taken away this late in the game has been a huge emotional and mental blow.

I am now on serious bed rest, and it has just given me too much time to think about the what-if's! I know that the most important thing is healthy mom and baby, but I have become worried about my state of mental health and coping with the situation, especially after baby. So I am hoping that some of you can give me some tips or resources for coping with preeclampsia! I am grateful that I have a supportive doctor (I have done cocare with him throughout.) and doula, but obviously it would be nice to have the support of those who have been there before!

Tomorrow I go into meet with my doctor about my most recent lab work from today. (God, this disease turns you into a human pincushion!) It will determine if I go in immediately for an IV induction, or if I can buy just a little more time to see if we can try other induction methods to help get things moving. My cervix was still on lockdown earlier this week!

Jocelyn

Return to “Ask the Experienced”