New Here, 34w 1d 3rd time

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: New Here, 34w 1d 3rd time

Postby sam10 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 06:04 pm

Congratulations! So happy to hear that baby is doing well. I hope your docs will soon find the right kind of meds to stabilize your BP. It might take a while though and could include med and dosage changes.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Jodie79us

Postby Jodie79us » Sat Dec 06, 2014 03:07 pm

Wednesday night my BP shot up again to 217/104 so we went into L&D. They kept me for 23 hour obs and decided delivery would be the best bet. So Thursday our boy was born! 34w 6d, weighing 5 pounds, 6.8 ounces, 18.5 inches long. He is in the nicu for feedings, but breathing and staying warm on his own!
My BP still has not calmed down. I've still been getting readings > 180/90, still on labetalol, and I had to get a shot of hydrolozine at one point. But baby is healthy and doing well!

KetchupSpud

Postby KetchupSpud » Fri Dec 05, 2014 03:39 am

I have a wrist cuff too and have been wondering if mine reads low. It's always 15-20 points lower (top number) than what I get in office. But the bottom number is pretty accurate, so I figure maybe it's from being up and walking around and being nervous... I did read that it really really matters that the cuff and your heart be at the same level - do you make sure of that when you use the manual one? My wrist one requires it (has a light that tells you when you've got your arm at the right height). I've read that when the cuff is higher than your heart, you get a (false) lower reading. That's why nurses make you lie down on your side and then take your bp (from your arm that you're not lying on, hence the one that's higher than your heart) and the number comes back lower and they think it's an improvement, but it's just an inaccurate measurement. A seated measurement taken after 2 minutes of rest is supposed to be the most accurate. (Again, this is just based off of what I've read.)

But if it makes you feel better, I had a manual cuff that gave insanely high readings that were complete garbage. My husband nearly dragged me back to the hospital he was so worried, but we went and bought the wrist one and the results were much better and very consistent. But I can only imagine how nerve wracking it must be while pregnant - it drives me nuts trying to figure out how accurate it is and I'm not! All I can say is, listen to your gut. I took myself into the hospital and it turns out I had pre-eclampsia (very severe) and it was so early that the nurses I talked to in the doctor's office dismissed my signs. Good luck!!
Mama to Logan Patrick (8/23/14-8/26/14) & Bryce Anthony (8/23/14-9/13/14), frateral twins born at 23w5d due to severe pre-e turning into HELLP.
Hoping for a rainbow in Sept '16.

laney_p
Forum Moderator

Postby laney_p » Thu Dec 04, 2014 08:58 pm

*Hugs* I can only imagine how nerve-wracking that is!! Hang in there and keep updating us on how you are doing.
Director of Community Relations for the Preeclampsia Foundation
*does not provide any medical advice*
for more information, please visit www.preeclampsia.org

La Directora de las Relaciones con la Comunidad
*no ofrece consejo médico*
Se habla español
Para mas información, por favor visite: www.preeclampsia.org/es

Jodie79us

Postby Jodie79us » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Ugh...so frustrated. My urine came back normal, which I know is great but...
They increased the labetalol to 400mg, 3 times a day and I am to follow up Monday for an ultrasound and more labs.
I know that each day is great for baby, but I am on day 26 of bedrest and it is starting to take its toll. Especially since I was basically guaranteed a delivery this week. I'm just emotionally drained.
And...I've got two BP cuffs. One is a manual and I'm getting readings (loud and clear) of 180/98 but the electronic wrist cuff is reading 158/95. I don't know which to believe.

KetchupSpud

Postby KetchupSpud » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Any update? Hope everything's going well! :)
Mama to Logan Patrick (8/23/14-8/26/14) & Bryce Anthony (8/23/14-9/13/14), frateral twins born at 23w5d due to severe pre-e turning into HELLP.
Hoping for a rainbow in Sept '16.

Jodie79us

Postby Jodie79us » Mon Dec 01, 2014 07:53 pm

Went to see my OB today, BP was 140/102. He came in and pulled out his cell and made a call to Dr. ******, a MFM doc. I love her. I sat in her office and was able to just talk with her. We concluded that most likely I do have PE again but we need to confirm it with another 24 hour urine. She said that with my BPs staying high, she can almost guarantee a delivery this week. So I had PIH labs drawn today, working on another urine collection and she should have it all back by Wednesday. If the urine is > 300, she will admit for delivery on Wednesday (baby will be 34&5). She also told me that there are no studies that show strict bed rest to help substantially so she said I don't have to just be in bed all day. She said no lifting, no exercise, and rest when I start to see increased swelling. She also increased the labetalol to 300mg three times a day with instructions to go to L&D with a BP > 160 or 110, headache, seeing stars etc. I feel confident going forward now. Thank you so much for all of your help here!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 06:08 pm

Please keep us posted as you're able. I was pretty nauseous with my 34 weeker in the week before delivery.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

Jodie79us

Postby Jodie79us » Mon Dec 01, 2014 04:03 am

I'm making the call first thing in the morning to go into the office. Just kept calm over the weekend and watched my BP (which I'm still getting high readings) and looked for other symptoms. They have me second guessing my cuff and if my numbers are accurate. Today I started feeling nauseous, but no vomiting or right upper quadrant pain. We will see what he says tomorrow I guess. And he's just an OB, not high risk.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 02:54 am

I had mostly amazing doctors with my second pregnancy, but there was one young and eager one who always gave me the feeling as if I was asking to check into a luxury hotel. It was so annoying. Thankfully, all others overruled her, so I could stay! I am so sorry that you are dealing with this!
I wonder if you could ask directly whether you should perhaps stay in the hospital, mention all your symptoms including feeling awful and flulike. Your pressures make me nervous, they are high, especially since you are medicated.
Is your doc a high-risk OB or consulting with one?
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Return to “Ask the Experienced”