Blood pressure years after preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alexa5

Re: Blood pressure years after preeclampsia

Postby alexa5 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 08:20 pm

Thanks for the input! That is helpful, and good to know that MIL held out for many years before the issue came up.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Blood pressure years after preeclampsia

Postby alviarin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 07:25 pm

Sorry to say, my blood pressure never quite came down to normal after I had my daughter 8 years ago. I did gain weight with each pregnancy, plus there is hypertension in my family tree. I'm on a low dose of BP meds but still hopeful I can ditch the meds at some point if I can get closer to my normal pre-pregnancy weight.

My MIL didn't develop hypertension until 20+ years after developing preeclampsia, even with being a smoker as an added risk factor. Unlike me she has a good BMI though.

Since I've been dx'd as a "chronic" hypertensive, I have noticed I'm salt-sensitive. Plus my BP tends to run a lil' higher at beginning of my period. My GP has said that isn't uncommon for hypertensives, and said I can take a diuretic for those couple of days a month as needed. Normally I just try to be more careful with my diet/ salt intake around that time of month which seems to help.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

alexa5

Blood pressure years after preeclampsia

Postby alexa5 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 02:04 pm

I haven't been here for a while! I was just wondering for those that had blood pressure issues begin in pregnancy with their preeclampsia diagnosis, since preeclampsia basically exposes your risk of potential future issues-- how long after pregnancy were you able to maintain a healthy blood pressure? I ask because I was fortunate to get back to a normal bp a few months after delivering, and haven't been on any medication since then (2009). My bp has remained fine with the exception of white coat syndrome at the doc's office (another way my risks are exposed). Lately I have noticed higher readings during my menstrual cycle, which makes me wonder if I am getting closer to higher bp in general. So, just checking in to see if anyone else maintained a decent bp after pregnancy but hit a time that it started to rise long after?

Strange question, but just asking in case anyone else had a similar experience.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”