Safe to have another baby? 2 bouts of PIH

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1809
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:56 am
Location: Texas

Re: Safe to have another baby? 2 bouts of PIH

Postby alviarin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 03:45 pm

I decided to have a third, with a history of pre-e close to term. I had always wanted at least three children, and my family just didn't feel complete yet. It took me a while to get over my fears over going through it again, so I also had "advanced maternal age" going into my third pregnancy.

My GP thought I was lucky already and why not be happy with my two existing children? (In my shoes she definitely wouldn't have tried again!). My cardiologist and MFM were supportive of me having another.

I kept telling myself that even though I had good odds of getting pre-e again, my odds of being permanently injured by it were low. And I knew how closely I would be monitored and had an OB (with a MFM as backup) that I trusted.

I have to say that even though my third pregnancy was more complicated (starting with chronic hypertension and advanced maternal age, and going on to develop mild gestational diabetes) it was my easiest recovery from pre-e. And I can't imagine my family any other way now.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

KetchupSpud
Registered User
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Re: Safe to have another baby? 2 bouts of PIH

Postby KetchupSpud » Wed Feb 18, 2015 05:36 am

I did get advice from 3/4 of the doctors I talked to. My OB, two High Risks, and an RE. The OB was the only one who wouldn't say one way or the other what I should do, though she did say she agreed with what the high risks said. They both said that the odds were very much in my favor. One quoted the 60% of it happening, 20% of it being severe before 28w (due to my early onset history), which one of the experts here quoted. The other said she wouldn't advise me to try again if she didn't believe I could bring home a healthy baby, and she says that is 32w in her mind. The RE also said he thought I'd make it to at least 32w. But more important than any of the numbers or guesses was their honest belief that it would work out ok. I decided to go with the high risk who said that her goal was me bringing home a healthy baby, as opposed to others who tend to consider live birth a success. The RE told me, "26 weekers do real well. They just stay in the NICU for a while." Well, the NICU isn't a hotel, and I don't like that attitude about it. So my advice is to find high risk doctors to talk to who understand your goals and speak to you person-to-person (some can be a bit removed from humanity, if you know what I mean). If you find someone you trust who has reassuring things to say, it may help you make up your mind - it did for me. The high risk I went with knew my entire history when we walked in, even though we'd never met before, had printed research for me to look at, clearly stated her goals and her plan, was open to trying things that might help prevent it, etc. Basically, I decided if we were going to try again, I needed someone who was completely on my side that I could trust and talk to. That's actually what made my decision for me. No idea yet if it'll all work out, but seeing as I was pretty much against trying again for a while, I can at least saying that finding the right person may completely change your attitude. Good luck with your tough decision!
Mama to Logan Patrick (8/23/14-8/26/14) & Bryce Anthony (8/23/14-9/13/14), frateral twins born at 23w5d due to severe pre-e turning into HELLP.
Hoping for a rainbow in Sept '16.

kmvb2
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Safe to have another baby? 2 bouts of PIH

Postby kmvb2 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 02:22 am

Thank you so much for responding. This has been twisting me in knots, trying to decide. I appreciate someone weighing in. Thank you again.

laney_p
Forum Moderator
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: Safe to have another baby? 2 bouts of PIH

Postby laney_p » Thu Feb 12, 2015 05:34 pm

Hi there!

I think that trying to decide whether to conceive after an experience with preeclampsia, much less two experiences, is one of the hardest decisions a mom ever has to make. So sorrty for all that you've been through. That being said, the fact that you have had two pregnancies before and are taking good care of yourself is a help to your overall risk. Unfortunately, as you experienced with your perinatologist, risk assessment is kind of a guessing game based on the best information they have! Research suggests the risk of having preeclampsia again is approximately 20%, however experts cite a range from 5-80% depending on when you had it in a prior pregnancy and how severe it was. While repeat occurrence is often less severe, no one can predict for sure.

I think, with proper care and monitoring, it is possible that you could successfully conceive and move forward with a pregnancy, BUT many women have also chosen not to even risk it. I'll let some of them hop in and talk with you to tell their stories!
Director of Community Relations for the Preeclampsia Foundation
*does not provide any medical advice*
for more information, please visit www.preeclampsia.org

La Directora de las Relaciones con la Comunidad
*no ofrece consejo médico*
Se habla español
Para mas información, por favor visite: www.preeclampsia.org/es

kmvb2
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Safe to have another baby? 2 bouts of PIH

Postby kmvb2 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 03:17 am

Hello,
I am trying to decide if I can/should have another baby. I developed pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) at ~36 weeks with my first pregnancy. I was 28 years old and put on bedrest, then delivered via scheduled induction to a 6lb 4oz baby girl. Then, at 30 years old, I developed PIH again at roughly 36 weeks, and delivered via emergency induction at 38.3 weeks to a 6lb 9oz baby girl. I had to take beta blockers the first time, but only one dose. Both times, my blood pressure resolved and I am currently not taking any BP medicine and have a healthy BP. I do have to exercise 4x/week and eat a heart healthy diet or it seems to all creep up, though.

I am now turning 33 in a month, and wanting a 3rd and last baby. My family has a strong history of heart attacks, strokes, and deaths, so I am worried about having more children. I had a preconception consultation with a perinatolgist at the university fetal medicine clinic, and talked with my ob who is a high-risk ob. The perinatologist was extremely noncommittal and basically said it's an unknown risk- that I will get it again but there's no telling if I would be on permanent BP medicine, if it would creep up sooner in pregnancy or progress to a more dangerous form, etc. and no idea whether it causes long-term damage- and therefore I must decide whether I want to do it. The ob was also very noncommittal and agreed, but said I am not in "imminent danger" if I become pregnant and that she'd support me 100%. I know that no one can tell me 100% what risks there are, but I do know that doctors sometimes do clearly tell women not to have more children. I was hoping for more of a yes or no.

What would you do? Would you go with your desire for one more child and hope/have faith that it all went as before? Or would you be afraid of the risks or come scary turn of events and opt to not add to your family? I was advised that if I did want another baby, I should try for it ASAP and get on low dose aspirin right now, which I am taking, but not trying to conceive yet until I figure out whether or not to!

Thank you.


Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests