aspirin side effects on babies

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: aspirin side effects on babies

Postby MomTimesThree » Sun May 24, 2015 00:16 am

Congrats Angie!
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

angieb

Postby angieb » Mon May 04, 2015 04:56 am

I was on lovenox and aspirin for both my boys (and current pregnancy), both boys (4 and 2.5 now) are fine. I was actually taking them while breastfeeding both boys still too so they were exposed to it in utero and then when they were older through my milk. (Although granted by the time I was pregnant again I don't think I was making a lot of milk, especially for the 2 yo.)

Honestly the only way I personally would risk a VBAC is if I wanted several more kids, but we all have different comfort levels and desires. (I have never ever ever desired a vaginal birth anyway. I like just laying there and not have to do anything or be miserable with contractions,etc.) This will be my 4th c-section, they have all been pretty easy, with easy recoveries. My doctors have said we could have a 5th if my uterus looks okay after this time so even the number of kids factor just depends.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Apr 18, 2015 05:19 am

Then you have time to get your head around the possibility of a VBAC - thinking about either kind of delivery is somewhat scary!

FWIW, with my last pregnancy I was getting care at a facility where VBACs were supported, but ended up with a repeat CS because I had PROM and wasn't even a tiny bit in labor. Would that these things were more predictable. Heather's been out with a sick four year old, but I know she had 4 CS.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

maiag24

Postby maiag24 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 08:21 pm

thanks caryn!
I'm 23 weeks now , I've started aspirin at 15 weeks

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:12 am

Hi, and welcome to the forums - I'm glad you found us!

Before they decided to recommend aspirin for preeclampsia, they ran some large trials and checked for effects on the baby, and there weren't any harms to the babies at all. I didn't take it with my daughter, but that was because my MFMs and I decided I wasn't likely to benefit from using it, not because there was any concern that she would be harmed.

Here's one of the big trials: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17512048

And a review from the US task force: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24783270

"Based on pooled results, low-dose aspirin administered after the first trimester of pregnancy to women at elevated risk of preeclampsia reduced the risk of preeclampsia by at least 10 percent (and perhaps 24%), with beneficial effects on perinatal health outcomes; intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) was reduced 20 percent and preterm birth an estimated 14 percent, although the actual effect for these two outcomes may be more modest, given the possible bias due to small-study effects. Consistent with findings of lower rates of preterm birth and IUGR, birth weight averaged 130 g more in infants whose mothers took low-dose aspirin. We did not find evidence of serious harms from aspirin use..."

So aspirin grows slightly larger babies (probably because it improves bloodflow), but no harms were found.

How many weeks are you?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

maiag24

Postby maiag24 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 09:50 pm

thank you heather j! there is so much warnings about high doses of aspirin and I've thought small doses could also be harmful but that is not true as you say :) how old is your youngest kid? is she/he fine? have you delivered by cc or was it vaginal birth? my first was Caesarian but I want vaginal birth this time however I'm scared to death :)

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sun Apr 12, 2015 06:27 pm

Hi! I delivered my first at 36 weeks due to PE/HELLP, and my MFM prescribed lovenox and aspirin for my next two (mostly uneventful) pregnancies as a result of a clotting disorder. Since those pregnancies, using anticoagulants has seen a decline and recent research is leading away from that practice, and I was not on lovenox for my fourth pregnancy in 2013/14. I did continue with aspirin, but developed chronic kidney stones and was having bleeding related to that so we stopped the aspirin because it was contributing to the bleeding caused by the stones. I delivered my last at 40 weeks with no preeclampsia. All that said, I've not had any complications resulting from taking aspirin. It's pretty widely used in preeclamptic circles and has been for a while now. I think it's more commonly used for early onset preeclampsia cases.
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

maiag24

aspirin side effects on babies

Postby maiag24 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 08:20 pm

Hi
I've experienced pre eclampsia in my first pregnancy (36th week) and now my gp told me to take aspirin every day till the end of my second pregnancy (I'm pregnant again) but I'm very scared that it can harm my baby , even in small dose of 75g which I'm taking now :( and the aspirin I've been prescribed has many other ingredients like sodium, talc etc. what do you think , should I take it ? I know it helps in extreme cases of pre eclampsia but I'm sooo worried that my baby would have some sort of side effects of taking the aspirin in future :( please help

Return to “Ask the Experienced”