Confused about pre-e risk assessment

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sam10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:04 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Confused about pre-e risk assessment

Postby sam10 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:09 pm

It seems you are in good hands and I am glad you went to be seen right away! I received very similar treatment (btw. Labetalol did nothing for me and unfortunately I was allergic to Nifedapine). Once you are no longer pregnant, it is not "quite" as worrisome, as more medication can be given if needed, because the baby has been delivered. The importance is to keep you out of stroke range. And to watch for fluid buildup. I am glad they gave you sth for anxiety. I got that too, and it helped me get through those rough weeks after delivery.
PE can show up just before delivery and/or during it, but then get really bad after delivery. All the chemical reactions have been set in motion and for some of us this train is harder to stop. My doctors told me that I should expect to feel better after 2 weeks, and I did. My BP was all over the place for a a while.

It must be so hard to be separated from your baby girl! Sending you hugs!
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

IHNIWLTM
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:29 am

Re: Confused about pre-e risk assessment

Postby IHNIWLTM » Sat Jan 16, 2016 05:32 pm

Thanks. I ended up going to the closest hospital rather then where we delivered because my BP seemed rather high to me, they pushed labetol through an IV which did nothing but make my BP go into scary high numbers above 200, they ended up giving me an anti anxiety medicine because seeing those numbers was definetly not helping the blood pressure. I mentioned the headache and they gave me Tylenol and Percocet which did not help much, normally I take Advil and they did not want to give it to me because it messes with blood pressure--they finally gave in and let me have 2 which helped tremendously but the headache is still lingering. They also gave me a water pill so I can now see my feet! Is it possible to get pre-e post partum after treatment with mag? No one seems to be concerned about that being what's happening, is it possible to have pre-e with only high BP? I'm continuing sleeping and taking it easy, hopefully some combination of drugs will work soon.

Also, baby girl is doing great, she is being watched by my in-laws. Miss being with her but I need to get better.

sam10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:04 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Confused about pre-e risk assessment

Postby sam10 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 05:14 pm

I am so sorry you have to deal with this! It sounds very much like my story! I was re-admitted to the hospital (in my case back to the post-delivery department). What the doctors will do is to monitor you, run all kinds of tests, like blood tests, will check if there is any fluid buildup in lungs or head. It sounds like you are in good hands. They will try to regulate your BP and might change dosage/meds depending how you react. Hang in there and please always report any/all symptoms. Please tell them about your headache! They should be able to give you stronger medications, since you aren't pregnant any longer. Just tell them if you are breastfeeding, just so they can decide on the proper medication.

Here is a list of all symptoms to be aware of: https://www.preeclampsia.org/health-inf ... n-symptoms

how is baby doing?
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

IHNIWLTM
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:29 am

Re: Confused about pre-e risk assessment

Postby IHNIWLTM » Sat Jan 16, 2016 02:17 pm

Got admitted to the hospital Thursday night for high blood pressure and have been on a combination of drugs that seem to be sort of helping but still not at the levels they need to be. BP is holding around 146/98, cardiologist wants it under 130/80-I will be at the hospital at least till Monday. Got a headache last night and am now terrified of having post partum pre-e, they have monitored my blood and all looks well, I had an echo done and Chest X-ray they were fine they also checked thyroid which is fine, now waiting on kidney ultrasound results. I am so tired and this headache is driving me crazy and I don't know what I should be asking the doctors or what they need to check for post partum pre-e, especially since I'm under the care of a cardiologist now.

sam10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:04 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Confused about pre-e risk assessment

Postby sam10 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 02:20 am

How did your appointment go? I hope you were in good hands with your primary care physician. It can take a while for the BP to adjust to normal levels. For me it was 3 weeks before I was off medication, some women need medication for 3 months, 6 months, and some need to take the long term. There is no way to know. However, I hope that meanwhile you are taking the medication that is regulating your BP. How high is your BP?
I remember that my swelling in my feet/legs post-partum was ridiculous, but my doctors told me that it was due to giving birth. It made me very anxious.

I hope symptoms will subside soon and you will feel more comfortable, because needing to care for a newborn while dealing with PE during the post-partum period is very hard!
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

IHNIWLTM
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:29 am

Re: Confused about pre-e risk assessment

Postby IHNIWLTM » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Thanks. I made an appointment with my primary care physician for tomorrow, should I request that they check my blood and urine? I was at the ER a few nights ago and they checked my blood and said they weren't concerned from the results--but I am obviously on edge worrying about the BP, caring for a newborn and the potential for pre-e symptoms. The thought of mag. again makes me want to cry. I am still really swollen which also makes me worried (I went out yesterday and did some walking when I came back my feet were larger then they had been. Also, drawing blood is an ordeal--they have poked me everywhere to draw blood and because of the swelling they can never find a good place to get it. I have also been having headaches but they seem to go away with 2 advil.

Did your blood pressure ever return to normal off meds? What should my expectations me for my BP readings to be on meds (right now they still seem incredibly high to me)?
Do I no longer need to worry about post-partum pre-e after 6 weeks?

sam10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:04 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Confused about pre-e risk assessment

Postby sam10 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 04:44 am

PE can get worse after delivery. It happened to me with my second pregnancy. The first two weeks post-partum were quite challenging with many med and dosage changes. The doctors explained to me that this can happen due to chemical reactions that have been set in motion. The body needs time to re-adjust to the missing placenta, but it does not always happen as if flipping a switch.
Unfortunately there is no specialist who will deal with the aftermath of PE or post-partum PE. At my hospital one of the Internists took an interest in providing this specific care and was very knowledgable in BP adjustments and compatibility of breastfeeding.

I am glad that you are looking for a cardiologist! I still see mine for regular check-ups every two years or so. Try to find a primary care who is an Internist and who is familiar with post-partum BP issues (if possible). If you feel you have any other issues as a result of PE, it might be best to talk to your primary care who will then send you on to the specialist.

I also took my BP at home 3 times a day or when I felt completely off, just to be sure to be able to see or call my doc if I needed to change my dosage.

I hope you'll feel better soon and some meds will do the trick for you. Please keep in mind to watch and report PE symptoms for up to 6 weeks postpartum.

And Congratulations :D
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

IHNIWLTM
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:29 am

Re: Confused about pre-e risk assessment

Postby IHNIWLTM » Thu Jan 14, 2016 02:55 am

Wanted to give an update as I am now more confused then ever. We were induced last week and I ended up having a c-section for failure of the baby to descend. After the c-section I began having protein in my urine so they pushed mag. sulfate for 24hrs. I started having high BP after delivery and it has now been a week, I have been taking Labetalol 200mg (2x a day) but the BP is still high even after taking the meds. The OB upped the meds to 300mg (3x a day) starting today and told me to find a good primary care physician because they do not treat high BP after delivery. I am looking for a new primary care physician but in the meantime made an appointment with a cardiologist. Who normally follows up with women who have post-partum high BP? Will the cardiologist suffice? TIA.

IHNIWLTM
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:29 am

Re: Confused about pre-e risk assessment

Postby IHNIWLTM » Wed Dec 23, 2015 06:29 pm

Thanks everyone. So far, no protein in urine, and blood tests came back normal. BP is fluctuating but mainly in the 130-140/90-97's and I am continuing to monitor it, they said no meds needed but to go to L&D if it goes to 160/110 or if I get a reading of over 110 more then 2x, also of course to head to L&D if I become symptomatic. We set the induction date for 37w4d (2 weeks from now) if I am still doing ok with no symptoms of pre-e they will let me go to 38w exactly. Hoping things stay steady and symptom free.

sam10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:04 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Confused about pre-e risk assessment

Postby sam10 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 05:06 am

As has been mentioned s, docs are extra cautious when it comes to PE and don't like to wait around much past 37 weeks. I had c-sections only, so I can't comment on how inductions go. I am thinking of you, however, and hope it will all go as smoothly as possible.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE


Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests