Delivered 10/01, lab work and symptoms worse?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Delivered 10/01, lab work and symptoms worse?

Postby alviarin » Tue Jan 10, 640530 11:01 pm

I was extremely swollen after my son was born, and my docs gave me a diuretic to help mobilize the extra fluid. I was also very short of breath and retaining a lot of fluid, so they were worried about possible pulmonary edema.

At the time I heard the same thing from a nurse about swelling negatively affecting milk supply, but unfortunately I haven't been able to track down a reference or reliable source for that info. My milk was delayed coming in, but I don't know if it was due to being sick with severe pre-e, being extremely swollen, or even the diuretic drying things up temporarily.

I would call and ask to speak to the nurse at your doctor's office, since sometimes they are easier to get ahold of on the phone. I wouldn't wait another week to be heard, since one rare, but serious, cause of postpartum swelling can be peripartum cardiomypathy.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

emma.gonzales

Postby emma.gonzales » Tue Jan 10, 640530 10:42 pm

Oh! Also, one of the NICU nurses mentioned that excessive swelling and holding on to all this fluid might negatively affect my milk production? Has anyone found that?

emma.gonzales

Postby emma.gonzales » Tue Jan 10, 640530 10:37 pm

So sorry it's taken me a bit to follow up, we have been trying to navigate the NICU with the boy, figure out pumping and everything else! I've left a couple messages with my Dr's office regarding the swelling being just as bad or worse a week after delivery. Unfortunately, we aren't allowed cell phones in the NICU and of course, during "office hours" we are at the hospital. I just need to do a better job of getting ahold of my dr? What's strange is that, even when I lay down/elevate my feet for 3 or 4 hours the swelling doesn't go down. I am trying to drink lots of water and sit whenever possible? Don't know what else I can do as this swelling is oddly persistent. My BPs are so-so, on the high end of normal but my vision is ok. I do have a headache but I'm pretty sure that's from eating hospital food for the 4th week in a row and sleeping in 2 & 3 hour chunks lol. I do have an incision check appt next week? I guess if nothing changes by then?

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Tue Jan 10, 640530 10:03 pm

Hi Emma,
Just wondering how you are doing this week? Did you get back into contact with your healthcare provider, and were they able to get the swelling down?
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

beth.arias

Postby beth.arias » Thu Dec 08, 640529 1:17 am

My preeclampsia was never diagnosed until after delivery with 2 out of 3 of my kids. I started becoming short of breath on day 5 pp and had a severe headache. I went to the ER both times and had pulmonary edema along with extremely high bp. First experience I was admitted to the cardiac floor and was given Lasix to resolve the fluid in my lungs. Once that went away my bp returned to normal. Second time around I had a mfm as my dr and in the ER she admitted me with Lasix, labetelol and put me on mag for 24 hrs. Both times I was back in the hospital for 3 days and then sent home. Be very aware of feeling off. A headache, swelling, shortness of breath. Make sure to alert your dr and if you go home check your bp at home if possible.

ccake79

Postby ccake79 » Wed Dec 07, 640529 2:15 am

When I developed pre-e with my daughter in 2012, it got worse after delivery. I delivered via emergency C-section at 36+2 and had 24 hours on mag sulf. Bloods, urine etc. all abnormal. My bp was very high prior to delivery and I was put on labetalol. Day 3 post-partum I started to feel really odd. None of my swelling had gone down either. Luckily I was still in hospital and they checked my bp - 220/110! I was put on nifedipine as well as them upping the labetalol to highest dose. Finally got out of hospital on day 8, but had bp meds for 6 months, which had to be gradually reduced. My daughter had a 3 week stay in special care (3lb 11oz).

When I had my son, I had no bp issues or pre-e, but on day 3 again (I was at home this time) my legs started swelling and I took my own bp and it was raised. Scared the * out of me, but I took myself back to hospital where I was given bp meds and kept in for over a week. Luckily bloods were all fine and as I acted quickly I'll never know if I was developing pre-e again.

Hope you start to improve and glad your LO is doing ok.

rachel.welchez

Postby rachel.welchez » Wed Dec 07, 640529 1:42 am

Hi!!! I had a similar situation. Keep monitoring your BP. My BP was fine and 5 days later it short up again. Take care of yourself and please update.

colleen.nycz

Postby colleen.nycz » Wed Dec 07, 640529 1:35 am

Hi Emma,

So sorry to hear you are going through this, but glad to hear your baby is doing well. I, too, started to get better after delivery, then got worse again. i was initially taken off magnesium 2 days PP, and had to go back on later that same day. While feeling slightly better, my labs hit their worst levels 5 days PP. Definitely be 100% honest about how you are feeling with your care team. I know how hard it is to be stuck in your own bed with your baby in the NICU (I delivered at 33 weeks due to sudden onset HELLP), but it is so important for you to be healthy too. My BP also stayed high when everything else got better, and took a couple of weeks of meds to stay down. Good luck!

melissa-alan.hankins

Postby melissa-alan.hankins » Wed Dec 07, 640529 12:20 am

Yes, I have heard of that before. I know you said you are swollen all over which means you are retaining a lot of fluid. Are you drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot? See if they will let you walk around your room or walk up and down the hallway. When I had my daughter I had to get up and walk before I could leave. Also, my bp stayed up the whole 4.5days I was there. Also, you want to walk around even if you are swollen so you dont throw a blood clot. My BP finally started coming down weeks after I had my daughter since they put me on meds. 20wks 3 days into this pregnancy and so far no BP meds fingers crossed it stays down on it own.

laney_p
Forum Moderator

Postby laney_p » Tue Dec 06, 640529 11:10 pm

Hey Emma,

Sorry to hear what you have been through so recently! How are you feeling today?

Most women do experience continuing issues, especially in the week after having had preeclampsia, but it's important that you report any symptoms you are continuing have to your care provider. Preeclampsia can continue or start in the postpartum period up to six weeks postpartum. He or she can help you decide if you should be monitored more closely and if they should adjust your medicines.

Please take care and let us know how you are doing!
Director of Community Relations for the Preeclampsia Foundation
*does not provide any medical advice*
for more information, please visit www.preeclampsia.org

La Directora de las Relaciones con la Comunidad
*no ofrece consejo médico*
Se habla español
Para mas información, por favor visite: www.preeclampsia.org/es

Return to “Ask the Experienced”