Ready to Try Again - Cross-posting here

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Ready to Try Again - Cross-posting here

Postby alviarin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 09:50 pm

Hi Anne,

It certainly sounds like you have a good plan going forward. As far as your questions go:
1. What would you suggest I have on my list of questions as I prepare for my appointment with my MFM?
Personally, I would ask about
- your odds of re-occurence in a subsequent pregnancy
- if they would recommend you take baby aspirin in a subsequent pregnancy (why or why not; and, if so, when to start taking it)
- if you should be tested for any underyling disorders (and what kind). Some of our posters have been tested for thrombophilias, auto-immune disorders, and even thyroid problems.
- should you be monitored more frequently in a subsequent pregnancy? If so, how and how often?
- you could also ask the MFM what your odds of being injured by a subsequent pregnancy would be.
2. Did anyone use any particular support systems through a second pregnancy that kept you from going crazy? For example, is it worth it to consider having a doula? I know doulas and potentially emergency deliveries don't mesh well together, but it seems like they also serve as support through the pregnancy? I know this forum will also be a great source of support.
I don't have any personal experience with a doula, but this forum was a sanity-saver for me during my second pregnancy. Also this may sound odd but buying a blood pressure monitor and checking my pressures at home made me feel productive (vs just sitting and worrying about my pressures).
3. Does anyone have positive stories of pregnancies working out well the second time around? I'm not crazy, I know there's some big risks here, but I would love to indulge in some hope and keep those stories close to my heart.
Odds are that subsequent pregnancies tend to go better, and if pre-e hits again it hits later or less severely. I did get preeclampsia again around the same time, but I think for me it is just genetic since my husband and father were both the result of preeclamptic pregnancies. And even though I got it again, it wasn't as severe.
4. My greatest fear is that I won't make it through another pregnancy. As in, it would be fatal. Nobody can guarantee me that it wouldn't be, and I know there are people in this forum who have lost women to this horrible disease. But, having an awareness of preeclampsia and personal experience with the symptoms, coupled with a plan involving an mfm and frequent monitoring (including at home) should keep me fairly safe, right? God I am so afraid, and yet I so want to do this.
Again, the odds are in your favor. But I understand it is hard to gamble with your health when there are no guarantees. It took me several years to decide to have a third child. I definitely had more frequent monitoring and testing in subsequent pregnancies, and knew I would be delivered at the least sign of serious trouble.

I hope this helps, good luck!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

dracarey

Ready to Try Again - Cross-posting here

Postby dracarey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 00:44 am

Hi there. I'm sure my story is a familiar one to many of you. I developed preeclampsia at around 27 weeks into my first (and presently only) pregnancy. At first my BP was pretty labile, but finally by 29 weeks, I had settled into severe preeclampsia. I was airlifted to a hospital that had high risk obstetricians, and an excellent NICU. My daughter was born at 30 weeks, 2 lbs 9 oz. It was a tough experience in the NICU, but now she is 4 1/2 years old, with absolutely no issues. I am very grateful for that. I also had post-partum preeclampsia that was quite bad, which actually resulted in pulmonary edema, but probably the worst of it all was the PTSD afterwards. I would say it took me a year to get off blood pressure meds, but much longer to get past the trauma of realizing that something bad can actually happen to you.

So, it's over 4 years later now, I'm 33, and although I swore-off ever having another child, I am really longing for that again. I know I am not at my healthiest right now. I am carrying an extra 20 lbs that I don't need, and my blood pressure is borderline. I have white-coat syndrome, so the best my blood pressure is at the doctor is around 130/80, but at home it is around 120/70-80. Nobody wants to medicate me yet, and fair enough. Certainly there is room for some lifestyle changes that I hope would positively impact my health.

My hope is that in about 6 months my husband and will start trying to conceive again. My plan for these next 6 months (which has already been set in motion) includes:

1. Getting in shape, and dropping a few extra pounds. I figure the healthier my cardiovascular system is going into this, the better it will be able to rebound from another episode of preeclampsia.

2. A referral to an MFM in advance to discuss my risk and any preventative measures I may be able to take. I'd also like a plan for managing the actual pregnancy.

3. An echocardiogram. This is mostly to indulge my paranoia because the pulmonary edema post-partum was terrifying, but I also have a heart murmur. I've had a previous echo that showed mild thicking of one of my aortic valve leaflets, so I'll have something to compare against.

4. I am tracking my fertility because once I'm ready to get started I want things to move quickly!! No time to change my mind, haha.

I am looking for some advice from all of you brave ladies:

1. What would you suggest I have on my list of questions as I prepare for my appointment with my MFM?

2. Did anyone use any particular support systems through a second pregnancy that kept you from going crazy? For example, is it worth it to consider having a doula? I know doulas and potentially emergency deliveries don't mesh well together, but it seems like they also serve as support through the pregnancy? I know this forum will also be a great source of support.

3. Does anyone have positive stories of pregnancies working out well the second time around? I'm not crazy, I know there's some big risks here, but I would love to indulge in some hope and keep those stories close to my heart.

4. My greatest fear is that I won't make it through another pregnancy. As in, it would be fatal. Nobody can guarantee me that it wouldn't be, and I know there are people in this forum who have lost women to this horrible disease. But, having an awareness of preeclampsia and personal experience with the symptoms, coupled with a plan involving an mfm and frequent monitoring (including at home) should keep me fairly safe, right? God I am so afraid, and yet I so want to do this.

Thank you thank you to anyone who chimes. I have visited this forum so many times since the birth of my daughter.

~Anne Marie

Return to “Ask the Experienced”