Tips for the supporter

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Tips for the supporter

Postby alviarin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 03:36 pm

Hi Casey, how is everyone this week?

Flowers and a comfy blanket were good ideas. Does she have a favorite scented lotion maybe? Hospital air can be so dry.

Does she have friends or family that can visit or at least call during the day? I've also heard good things about bedrest support through https://www.sidelines.org.

I don't have personal experience with hospital bedrest (I was on "modified" bedrest at home) but I liked keeping my mind busy.

Does your she have any hobbies? One of my friends took up knitting while she was on bedrest; she enjoyed learning a new skill.

I love to read so I would reserve books on-line through interlibrary loan and have my husband pick them up for me once a week. We also bought cable so I wasn't stuck watching daytime soaps! With all the streaming content available through Netflix and Amazon it might be a good time to check out some new series via laptop or ipad.

I hope this helps, good luck!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

CaseyJohnson

Tips for the supporter

Postby CaseyJohnson » Thu May 26, 2016 09:31 pm

Hello partners of women with preeclampsia,

Any words of wisdom in being the support for women pregnant and influenced by PE?
We have been in the hospital for two days and they are expecting us here until the baby comes... We are currently at 30 weeks gestation, so it could be a long stay. As a future-father with little creative capabilities, I have brought flowers and a blanket from home, and am pondering the next move.
Any ideas to spruce the room up and try and "joy-ify" the atmosphere at the hospital? Joy, a strong word, yes, but you know what I mean!

-Very grateful for this network.

Casey

Return to “Ask the Experienced”