When to deliver?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: When to deliver?

Postby alviarin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy to hear you are doing well and enjoying your sweet little one!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

sarah.clayton

Postby sarah.clayton » Wed Jul 27, 2016 08:28 pm

Holding my sweet baby right now! I delivered via planned c section yesterday at 37.2 weeks. Everything went well and my pressures are decent. I'm so grateful to have my baby and my health! Thanks for checking on me!

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 08:10 pm

Hi Sarah,

Just wondering how you are doing? Do you have a delivery date set? Please update if you get a chance.
Hypothyroid mom to

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 04:23 am

Yes with preeclampsia symptoms are often labile. Your body tries to compensate but can only keep it up for so long. The average time from diagnosis to delivery with preeclampsia is two weeks, but that includes women who have little symptom for weeks and even months and those who rapidly become worse in a matter of hours and need to deliver straight away.
Hypothyroid mom to

sarah.clayton

Postby sarah.clayton » Wed Jul 20, 2016 07:55 pm

I still haven't called my OB because I had 2 awesome days, where i didn't even feel sick. My pressures were good and I was able to sweep and mop the floor! I actually felt like "couch rest" had cured the preeclampsia. Silly me... I woke up this morning not feeling well at all. I've felt really sleepy all day and having shortness of breath with very little exertion. I am not calling today because my pressure was 158/80 and I'm not having the neuro symptoms I was over the weekend... Just feeling crummy. I have an appt tomorrow with an Ob within my Dr's practice, so we will see... Is it normal to have symptoms vary so much? My symptoms are truly day by day.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 06:03 pm

How are you feeling today? What did the OB say about your new symptoms?

Please update us if you get a chance.
Hypothyroid mom to

sarah.clayton

Postby sarah.clayton » Sun Jul 17, 2016 05:44 pm

Thank you for the quick response!

I did tell my OB about the shortness of breath during my visit last week, but I described it as more cardiac in nature. It literally feels like heart failure. Like when I get up from a sitting position and start walking I feel short of breath and racin heart and chest pressure and tightness. My Ob took my concerns seriously and listened to my heart and lungs and said that my lungs are clear and no irregular heartbeat so she didn't feel that there was any heart failure or fluid in my lungs. She said it was probably more related to the vascular changes (more blood volume) in pregnancy plus I'm so edematous. The neuro symptoms started a day after my appt. I had been seeing stars on and off for the last week but I never knew if I was imagining it or not. Due to the frequency in which I have visual disturbances within the last couple of days, I know that it's the real thing. I will most likely call my Ob tomorrow and let her know. She takes me seriously bc she delivered my last 2 babies and I had PIH with both of those pregnancies and with my last one she sectioned me at 38 weeks bc I showed up for an appt and felt awful. I only had trace protein and she didn't even bother to do the blood work. She felt that it was pre-e and I had the baby that day. I'm hoping I can hold out for another week, but I'm worried about my baby and myself!

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sun Jul 17, 2016 03:31 pm

Are neuro symptoms enough to deliver baby, even though my pressures are a little high but stable?
They can be, but a lot depends on the doc. Cerebral or visual disturbances, and pulmonary edema can symptoms of severe preeclampsia.

For me in my first pregnancy, shortness of breath and severe fatigue were my main symptoms of rapidly worsening preeclampsia. I had some shortness of breath off and on for the last month of my pregnancy, which can be normal when baby is getting bigger and pressing up on diaphraghm, but when even standing was too much work I knew something was wrong. I also was retaining a lot of fluid. I went from dipping trace protein to basically stopping peeing in under 24 hours. [Though proteinura is no longer required to diagnose preeclampsia, since severity of proteinura doesn't necessarily track with severity of disease progression].

Is the doc aware of your new visual symptoms & shortness of breath? If you haven't already, please run your new symptoms by your healthcare provider as soon as possible. And please don't hesitate to head to L&D if you feel the need.
Hypothyroid mom to

sarah.clayton

When to deliver?

Postby sarah.clayton » Sun Jul 17, 2016 03:30 am

I was diagnosed at 33 weeks with pre-e. BP in office was 170/90, on hospital bed rest 120-130/60-70, and 24 hour urine came back at 345. So I was officially diagnosed then. I was started on labetalol for high BP at week 27, And when diagnosed with pre-e, they increased to 200 mg twice daily. I was told if my pressures are 160/100 or greater, I need to have he baby. I'm 36 weeks tomorrow. My pressures have been 140-150s/70-80s and have been feeling awful. My OB is aware that I feel bad but wants the baby to stay put until my BP is no longer stable, labs come back funky (weekly labs), or if I start having severe symptoms. For the past 3 days I've been seeing black shadows, black and white stars and had ringing in my ears on and off but no headache and increasing shortness of breath. I know these neuro symptoms are not a good sign. But my pressures are stable and labs have been ok. I'm only spilling trace amounts of protein at my weekly visits. I am not sure when I should go to the hospital. Are neuro symptoms enough to deliver baby, even though my pressures are a little high but stable?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”