Trying again after pre-e?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1809
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:56 am
Location: Texas

Re: Trying again after pre-e?

Postby alviarin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 07:46 pm

I'm sorry to hear, lupus unfortunately does raise your pregnancy risk. I also have a family history of autoimmune disease, including lupus. Keep us posted and let us know what the MFM says.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

rosesinapril
Registered User
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: Trying again after pre-e?

Postby rosesinapril » Thu Sep 15, 2016 04:55 pm

Thanks for your reply! I was told that the next pregnancy would be very closely monitored not just in the beginning for the risk of miscarriage, but also throughout and in the postpartum period. But, unfortunately we have another factor to watch for. After a year of various doctors trying to get me to see a rheumatologist after some labs showed positive results for autoimmune (as well as my symptoms) I was diagnosed yesterday with Lupus. I have a strong family history: grandma, 4 aunts, an uncle, but a cousin of mine is the most ill, she gets chemo and needs a kidney transplant and found out she had lupus after recurrent miscarriages.

My rheumy told me she isn't saying "No" to us conceiving again, she just told me the risks and said she would work closely with my MFM and see me once a month through out my pregnancy. She told me she is going to run labs for an anticoagulant lupus gene. She said not all lupus patients have this, but those that do are at a very high risk of clotting, heart attack and stroke, and makes pregnancy more high risk. Expanding our family is proving to be a very tough, rough, long and arduous road.

alviarin
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1809
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:56 am
Location: Texas

Re: Trying again after pre-e?

Postby alviarin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 09:25 pm

I decided to try again after having severe pre-e with my first close to term. I told myself that my odds were better in a subsequent pregnancy (and they are). Generally subsequent pregnancies tend to go better. I was watched much more closely, and didn't get as sick since we induced at 37 weeks at the first signs of preeclampisa (high BP plus protienura).

Good luck!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

rosesinapril
Registered User
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Trying again after pre-e?

Postby rosesinapril » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:01 pm

It's been almost 17 months since our daughter was born and I had postpartum preeclampsia. She was born perfect, full term at 40wks+4d, and I had no signs or symptoms of pre-e the whole pregnancy. It came out of no where. I was afraid of the thought of trying again but now that there has been some time and distance from the trauma and complication we've been able to talk about trying again. I went to an OB who also handles high risk patients and he referred me to an MFM. I was wondering if any of you ladies decided to try again after pre-e? Was it a worse outcome? I am still a little bit scared but I feel brave enough to consult an MFM and if s/he says they are not concerned then my husband and I are willing to try again. We never intended to have an only child, she is a blessing after 3 miscarriages we were distraught and thought we weren't going to be able to have a baby. Am I being too greedy to want to try again knowing the risk to me and the baby? Is it irresponsible of us? Our family is supportive but the majority tells us not to try again or really think about it, my grandma being the only one confident that with proper management everything is going to be fine. My mother is terrified at the thought.


Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests