Just Diagnosed

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Just Diagnosed

Postby alviarin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 08:35 pm

My OB always wanted me to run every new symptom by her. If you do call I would make sure to mention you had same pain in hospital when you were being evaluated and the nurses weren't concerned (and then maybe your OB can give you a better guidance of what type of pain they would want you to go in for). I know one time I was hospitalized for monitoring the nurse was only writing down my (lower) laying down pressures, and my OB said she wanted to know all my pressures, sitting too.

I know it can also be a pain to have to go back and forth to hospital, but better safe than sorry. Please keep us posted as you are able.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

rachel.beach

Postby rachel.beach » Fri Nov 18, 2016 05:39 pm

Thanks! I think that was the main reason my OB wanted to deliver immediately. She said that a moderate headache was a "neurological symptom" that seriously concerned her. The protein in my urine was 405 (mg?) in the first 24 hr test and it was higher the second time (though she didn't tell me the amount) but still under the 4,999 threshold that's considered "mild preeclampsia." I'm now having a little of pain under my right ribs on the side, which I also had in the hospital but my nurses kept saying if it wasn't in the FRONT then they weren't really concerned. Not sure if I should tell the doc; my worry is that I will and she will tell me to go to the hospital immediately.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 04:10 pm

Your doctor is correct that there is no way to tell how quickly or severely preeclampsia will progress. The average time from diagnosis to delivery is two weeks, but that average includes women with little symptoms for weeks or even months, to those who rapidly worsen in a matter of hours and have to be delivered immediately. The official dx of preeclampsia only requires two high BP readings at least 4 hours apart (>=140/90, either number) AND proteinura (such as 300+mg in a 24 hour catch) OR bad bloodwork results.

I was almost delivered at 36 weeks last pregnancy with pre-e due to a migraine (which I get even non-pregnant) but fortunately the pain got better with rest and medication. It is possible to seize (eclampsia) without severely high pressures, and cerebral symptoms can be an indicator of severe preeclampsia or swelling putting pressure on brain. I hope you have a restful, uneventful weekend, but don't please don't hesitate to head back to L&D if anything changes.
Hypothyroid mom to

rachel.beach

Postby rachel.beach » Fri Nov 18, 2016 02:06 pm

I went to see my physician on Tuesday, but my BP that morning was about 142/78--high for me, I'm usually in the 115/68 area. I'd had a bad headache all morning so when I went to my doc at 1, she said my BP was fine but the headache really concerned her. She asked me to go to the hospital to have blood work done because they could process it faster than her sending it off to a lab. I went and the results came back normal (no elevated enzymes, etc.) but my headache was not going away and my calves had started to swell just a tad. The on-call physician said he felt OK sending me home as long as I monitored my BP or came back if I had any new symptoms, but when he called my OB she still recommended induction immediately. I was only 36w2d and didn't feel comfortable with that. I at least want to try to make it to 37 weeks. The on-call doctor said my options were stay and be induced, go home & monitor my BP, or be admitted overnight for another 24-hr urine test to see if protein had gone up. He felt like the third option was a happy medium and honestly I live an hour from the hospital and I didn't want to go home and have something bad happen. So I stayed, they did give me steroids for her lungs because they said even though it's usually for 34-weekers or earlier new research shows it could still be helpful, and I got my results back yesterday morning. My urine protein levels had gone up more, but were still in the "mild" range, so they agreed to discharge me and have me on bed rest for the weekend, and scheduled an induction for this Monday (11/21).

It all just seems a little strange to me that my symptoms are so mild. All the things I read and stories I hear about preeclampsia make it sound like it usually worsens rather quickly. I seem to be very stable and the only thing that's gotten "worse" has been the protein in my urine. My doc says there is no way to tell when it will worsen or how quickly, and that it could happen over days or over a matter of hours, so it's better to be on the safe side and deliver now before things start going downhill fast. Again, my symptoms started on November 7th and I haven't really worsened since then, so is it actually preeclampsia? If not, what could it be?

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 05:59 pm

Hi Rachel,
Just wondering how you are feeling today? How did your doctor's appointment yesterday go?
Hypothyroid mom to

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 01:00 am

So sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with preeclampsia, but I'm glad that you have already made it to 36 weeks already. Of course double check with your doc, but I think steroids are mainly for before 34 weeks. My kiddos were induced at 38 and 37 weeks, and they did great, and didn't require any extra hospital time. Sometimes 36 weekers need a little extra help in the beginning but many are "take home" babies.

Protein alone isn't usually an indicator for early delivery but severe headaches and nausea always make me nervous. Are they going to be running bloodwork to check for HELLP syndrome / Elevated Liver enzymes? I was able to deliver vaginally via induction of labor, but if preeclampsia becomes severe sometimes a faster delivery method or c-section is indicated if mom or baby is in distress.

You might want to bring your home pressure monitor to the doctor's tomorrow to compare readings and make sure it is consistent with what they are getting in office. I'd also talk to the doc about how frequent your appointments should be over the next couple weeks, and how often you should check your pressures at home. And maybe ask for some guidance on what symptoms and pressures warrant a phone call vs. a trip straight to L&D.

I hope this helps, let us know what the doctor says tomorrow. And of course please don't hesitate to head to L&D if anything feels off.
Hypothyroid mom to

rachel.beach

Just Diagnosed

Postby rachel.beach » Tue Nov 15, 2016 00:19 am

Hi everyone,

I just got the results of my 24-HR urine protein test back this afternoon and the nurse called to confirm I have preeclampsia. All this started very randomly last week. Sunday the 5th I started feeling nauseous and Monday I was more nauseous and had a headache. I had terrible morning sickness for 10 weeks straight earlier on so I did a Google search for morning sickness returning in the third trimester. One sight mentioned it could be a sign of preeclampsia but I'd had none of the typical symptoms, so I didn't think that was it but figured I'd check my BP just in case because I had a wrist cuff monitor at home. Sure enough it was 147/92. I called my friend who's a nurse and she came by about 30 min later to check manually and got 152/88. I went to my OB the next morning and it was 146/82 so they decided to do the 24-HR urine test and blood work. I submitted the urine Thursday last week and had the blood draw then. They called today and told me the results and said their recommendation is induction at 38 weeks. I am 36 weeks and 1 day today. I am very nervous about having my baby this early. My BP seems to have leveled off but the protein in my urine was super high. I go see the doc tomorrow at 1 PM to discuss induction but I'm wondering if they're going to put me on bedrest or give me steroids for her lungs, etc. Are c-sections likely outcomes for someone induced with preeclampsia? Any experiences you can share would be helpful.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”