Just given Diagnosis by Voicemail! I cant get a hold of Dr!!!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Just given Diagnosis by Voicemail! I cant get a hold of Dr!!!

Postby alviarin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 07:21 pm

So sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with preeclampsia.

I was told to run any new symptoms by my doc once I was diagnosed. So if the swelling increases or moves up into face and/or hands, you experience additional rapid weight gain, or if you have a bad headache unrelieved by Tylenol I would definitely call in even after hours. (I never had visual disturbances myself but if you are noticing an increase in possible visual symptoms I'd call that in too). Here's a link to our signs and symptoms page if you haven't seen it already:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... n-symptoms

A healthy diet is always good for everyone, but no specific diet has been proven to help with preeclampsia.

How many weeks are you? At your next appointment you might want to ask about doing kick counting at home.

Something I found helpful was buying a blood pressure monitor and monitoring my pressures at home. I also always asked what my BP was when they took my vitals in office. Maybe they noticed that your pressures have running a little higher than normal, in addition to the proteinuria?
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

crystal.adams

Just given Diagnosis by Voicemail! I cant get a hold of Dr!!!

Postby crystal.adams » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:47 pm

Hello. I was just given a diagnosis of Pre-e on Thursday via voicemail. My OB had decided to have me do a 24 hour urine test on tuesday last week because I had gained 12 lbs in 3 weeks after hardly gaining weight my whole pregnancy. (My bmi is 31 so weight gain was supposed to be kept minimal) In the VM my Dr stated I had protein in my urine and she is diagnosing me with Pre-eclampsia. She then recommended I be on bed rest and to go in 2x weekly for NST and ultrasounds for 5 weeks.
Since receiving the VM I called into the office to schedule the appointments and get more info. I was able to get scheduled to be seen as soon as Tuesday but I could not get much additional information. I spoke to my OBs MA and all she could could see in my chart was that I had protein in my urine and elevated creatinine levels. She then left a message for the dr to call me. When my OB did call I missed the freaking call somehow.
So now its the weekend and I'm super anxious not knowing what is going on. Ive done a ton of googleing and that hasnt been super reassuring. I thought you had to have high bp to have pre-e? I havent noticed high bp at all my whole pregnancy. I'm not really sure what my Dr ment by bed rest other than no work. I was told to schedule appointments out to 37 weeks. Does this mean I'll be induced? Should I be eating differently. I had a headache this morning and that made me worry. What symptoms should I look out for? I get occasional headaches and my legs always seem slightly swollen. Excpecially at night, then they are sore. I noticed every once and a while I will see stars for a very short period of time. What symptoms should I get checked out? I feel so clueless at this point. Im scared because I know Pre-eclampsia is a serious thing. I dont want to over react but I dont want to take any chances either. I've read to many horror stories with negative outcomes. Please any advice would be so wonderful. Im sure stessing about it isnt helping at all but I am so worried!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”