Girls, 2nd pregnancy with no pre-eclampsia - is it possible?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
Legenda57663301

Re: Girls, 2nd pregnancy with no pre-eclampsia - is it possible?

Postby Legenda57663301 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 06:00 pm

The good news is most women only get preeclampsia once. The bad news is the biggest risk factor for having it in a second pregnancy is having it in the first. The earlier and more severely you get it the first time, the greater the risk the second time. But of those who do get it more than once, most get it later and milder the second time. You should be watched closely in your next pregnancy, and any symptoms taken seriously.

The only thing we've found so far that reduces the risk of preeclampsia is aspirin, and it only seems to help a small percentage of women. We don't know yet who is helped and who is not, but since it's a relatively low risk, low cost thing, most of us take it just in case we're one of the lucky ones. The Omega-3, folic acid, and multivitamins will help with your health overall but do not reduce the risk of preeclampsia. Heparin also doesn't reduce risk, although there are other reasons you may need to take it.

Good luck! It's not an easy decision to try again, but there is a good chance you will have a happy outcome even if you get it again.
thank you so much, Jenh!

jenh

Re: Girls, 2nd pregnancy with no pre-eclampsia - is it possible?

Postby jenh » Wed Aug 30, 2017 02:39 pm

The good news is most women only get preeclampsia once. The bad news is the biggest risk factor for having it in a second pregnancy is having it in the first. The earlier and more severely you get it the first time, the greater the risk the second time. But of those who do get it more than once, most get it later and milder the second time. You should be watched closely in your next pregnancy, and any symptoms taken seriously.

The only thing we've found so far that reduces the risk of preeclampsia is aspirin, and it only seems to help a small percentage of women. We don't know yet who is helped and who is not, but since it's a relatively low risk, low cost thing, most of us take it just in case we're one of the lucky ones. The Omega-3, folic acid, and multivitamins will help with your health overall but do not reduce the risk of preeclampsia. Heparin also doesn't reduce risk, although there are other reasons you may need to take it.

Good luck! It's not an easy decision to try again, but there is a good chance you will have a happy outcome even if you get it again.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

Legenda57663301

Girls, 2nd pregnancy with no pre-eclampsia - is it possible?

Postby Legenda57663301 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 01:33 pm

Hello girls!

I am from Russia, and I know that there are girls from different countries here. I will be so grateful if you share your opinions, stories, and experience with me here!

I had severe pre-eclampsia starting around 32 weeks with my daughter. I went into hospital at 33 weeks and she was born at 33 weeks + 4 days. During my pregnancy, I didn’t take any pre-eclampsia prevention measures (no aspirin, no clexane etc.)

So I have a beautiful healthy daughter aged 2,5 years old now. And I am happy. I can be happier if my husband and I would have another baby. We went to the doctor who advised to take aspirin 150 mg, Omega-3, folic acid and multivitamins. After I get pregnant, she advises to take D-Dimer test to see if I need low molecular heparin.

Here in Russia, the problem of pre-eclampsia is not studied at all. The cases are not often, at least there’s so little information about it, and there are not many doctors who can consult about pre-eclampsia even in Moscow.
I will be so grateful if you share your opinion about my doctor’s prescription and my fear to have pre-eclampsia for the 2nd time: has anyone the same prevention medicine? Do these drugs work to avoid pre-eclampsia during the 2nd pregnancy? What drugs did help you to deliver the second baby in time with no complications?

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”