Blood pressure issues

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jenh

Re: Blood pressure issues

Postby jenh » Sat Oct 21, 2017 01:16 pm

Some of us have a genetic tendency to develop high blood pressure at some point in our lives. This is one of the possible causes of PE in the first place. Then the physical stress of pregnancy can trigger the chronic high blood pressure earlier than it might have shown up otherwise. This isn't because of anything you did or are doing wrong. Making lifestyle changes with diet and exercise and weight loss can help you avoid adding risk on top of risk, and you may even be able to come off meds at some point. But eventually it's likely to come back out again, unfortunately.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Blood pressure issues

Postby alviarin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 01:45 am

I'm so sorry you are still dealing with high blood pressure (BP). Recovery after preeclampsia is highly individual, some posters have their BP come back down in hours, some in days, some in weeks, some in months and some never quite return to their pre-pregancy baseline.

As for me personally, I developed hypertension after my second pregnancy. My pressures spiked a week postpartum even on BP meds. It took several weeks with changing pressures, and adjusting medication type and dosage, before my pressures settled back down into my new higher baseline. I'm still on a low dose of BP meds to lower my long term risks, but hopeful that I might be able to go off meds if I loose weight. I hope this helps, and that your pressures normalize.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

cortney.thibodeau

Blood pressure issues

Postby cortney.thibodeau » Thu Oct 19, 2017 00:25 am

I had my baby 9 weeks ago this sunday. I had her at 34 weeks due to preeclampsia, which I did not even know I had until I went to hospital because i thought I had losty mucus plug and they said my water had already broke and I was in labor and had preeclampsia. They gave me medicine to lower my suddenly sky high blood pressure which in turn cause my heart rate to sky rocket. Because of that they told me I would not be able to have an epidural. After a few hours of severe labor pains, and not dialating, docs recommended an emergency c-section. The swelling was crazy but went a way after a week or less. What has never went down is my blood pressure! My doc is still playing with my meds to get it down. I never ever ever had high blood.pressure in my life and now docs are telling me this will be the rest of my life!! How can that be? How can preeclampsia give me perminate high blood pressure!?!?! I've searched and searched thr internet and cannot find any answers. Does anyone have any information they can share with me or has anyone else experienced this?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”