I am really interested in collecting some data about women who have made the choice to exclusively pump. I thought that since many women who have preemies pump in order to later try breastfeeding that this might be a good place to go for info. I started pumping when my son was born at 31 weeks with the intent to breastfeed. But that didn't work out and I have now been pumping for 6 months-hoping to go for a year.
I get so frustrated when I hear about the poor information that people are sometimes getting from medical professionals and LCs (although I know that some are giving excellent advice). It also frustrates me that there hasnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t been, to my knowledge, any research or data collected about EPing. So, I would like to do a very informal survey of those women who are currently EPing or those who have in the past and have already weaned, including women who may have EPed for a limited period and then moved onto formula or transitioned to breastfeeding.
I would love everyone who feels comfortable sharing this information to participate regardless of how long you have been EPing or how long you plan on doing it. If you are still EPing, I would also like to be able to contact you once you have reached your goal to find out if you were able to make it to your goal and if not, why. I would really like to see if there is any relationship to how supply is initiated when EPing, the pumping schedule women maintain, the volumes that women are pumping, and the length of time EPing.
What am I going to do with this info? Well, I guess initially just compile it and see if there are any trends that come to the surface and possibly in the longer term compile it into a paper and see about getting it published in order to share the info with those people who should know about it (doctors, LCs, etc.). I wonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t use anyoneÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s name (unless I course I get permission).
If you are interested in sharing this information please answer the questions that follow and email your info to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, if you know of anyone who is currently EPing or has in the past, please ask them if they are interested in participating.
I feel so thankful that I am able to EP for my son when bfing didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t work out, and I think that others would choose this option too if more information and support was out there.
I know there are quite a few questions, but I really appreciate and value your input.
Stephanie & Graeme (EPing 6 months)
1. How long have you been EPeing (or how long did you)?
2. What is/was your long term goal?
3. If you are no longer pumping, did you reach your goal? If no, why not?
4. How did you establish your supply- pumping or breastfeeding?
5. If pumping, how often and for how long did you pump?
6. When first pumping, how long did you pump for each session and how many sessions per day?
7. How long did it take for your supply to become established (i.e. when it reached its peak or when it was consistent in volume)?
8. When established, what was you average volume per day?
9. What type of pump do you, or did you, use?
10. At what point in time did you start cutting pump your pumping sessions?
11. How many times have you dropped sessions? And when dropping sessions did you see a decline in volume?
12. When you cut back pumping sessions did you increase the length of time you pumped? If so, by how much?
13. If you are no longer pumping, how did you start to eliminate pumps (eg. sleeping through the night, starting solids, etc.)?
14. What was the biggest determining factor that led you to start reducing pumping sessions?
15. At what point did you start to see your volume decline (length of time, # of pumps/day, etc.)?
16. Is/was your supply sufficient for the needs of your baby?
17. If not, at what point did you need to supplement?
18. Do you use, or have you used, any herbal supplements or prescription medication in order to increase your supply? If so, which ones? And at what point in time did you need to use them?
19. If you built up a freezer stash, approximately how much did you have in the freezer at its fullest?
20. If you are no longer EPing, did you use all your stash?
21. Have you had to dump any of your stash?
22. Anything else that you would like to add?
Thanks so much for your input!