could it be preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
heatherbbb

Re : could it be preeclampsia

Postby heatherbbb » Mon Jul 05, 637041 8:20 am

Rachel,
I am so sorry you're having such a rough time. I know this is probably one of the most stressful times of your life. I too am concerned about going on bedrest eventually and losing my salary as I'm the main income earner. As for preemies, I spent 5 1/2 months in a NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) with my son who was born at 26 weeks. I saw a lot of tiny babies (many 30 weekers and less) do very well and go home. Please ask your OB about steroid shots for the baby's lung development to see under what circumstances and timing they will administer them. They should give these to you in several courses starting 12 to 24 hours before delivery if the baby's lungs are not fully developed. If you make it to 36 weeks, this may not even be an issue. I ditto the other women here who advised you to call the OB on call or go to L & D with any changes in your condition at all. I wish you the very best and hope you can hold off a few weeks. Good luck and keep praying! I will keep you in my prayers.

Heather

Mother of Seth Russell, delivered 26 weeks due to PE/HELLP 9/3/03-2/13/04
http://members.cox.net/heatherbbb/seth/seth.htm
Due with baby # 2 Feb 1, 2005

ann marie

Postby ann marie » Sun Jul 04, 637041 11:35 am

Rachel,

I know all too well the difficulties emotionally and financially of bedrest...I was without income too. The most important thing is that they are monitoring you closely. Are you checking your bp at home?? How often is the doctor seeing you? What was your protien today??

Promise me that if you have any headaches that won't go away, visual changes, the baby is moving less, or just not feeling right that you'll go to L&D to get checked out...ok??

My faith and trust in God was tested and strenghtend through this experience. Hang in there hon. Babies at 32 weeks do very well. It's one of the milestones that we all hope for on these boards and you're almost there:)

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced" and "Bedrest"
Co-coordinator for Wisconsin
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest

jyn

Postby jyn » Sun Jul 04, 637041 10:52 am

Rachel
So sorry that your appt didn't go well. I hope you can make it to 36 weeks. We are very close to the same due date. I will hit 32 weeks on saturday. I hope things will settle down for you and make it to 36 weeks.

Jyn 30
DH Andy 33
Logan 8yrs preE 38 weeks
Aleck 4yrs preE 36 weeks
Colton due 11/21/04 on partial bedrest since June full since August 19th

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Thu Jun 24, 637041 5:42 pm

Hello to all my wonderful respondents!

My appointment did not go well. My bp was 152/96. ALARMING. My doctor took it three more times before admitting me to the hospital for more labs, another 24-hour urine, and observation.
GOOD news is however, my bp lowered to an average 137/44 while in the hospital bed, sending me home after just a four-hour stay. The doctor says this will probably be my routine until we deliver - (being admitted weekly for tests, labs, and monitoring the baby). Not exciting considering I teach for a living and currently have no income (due to bedrest) other than my husband's. Being a faithful person I know it must be put in God's hands, not my own.

My bp has been elevated slightly, 144/84, since I got home but I think it could be stress related. During this whole process I have been so worried about my baby, now I am worrying about myself, my husband, and the job I am not getting done at work (essentially I am worrying about everything). I know I should try to remain calm, but as I realize the seriousness of this problem, calm is not easy to obtain.

My doctor stated that our current goal was to make it to 32 weeks (a week and half away) and if things continue to progress as they have, we may deliver. She said she would much rather see a slight improvement or even have me remain at the same level so we can possibly reach 36 weeks. This also causes concern. However, I am aware that the survival rate for the baby after 32 weeks is 95%.

I know this is terribly long but I deeply love and appreciate the support that everyone has provided! It is so reassuring to have this forum! Thanks so much and God Bless for your wonderful work!

Rachel

ann marie

Postby ann marie » Thu Jun 24, 637041 12:58 am

Rachel,

You may want to add to your list of questions:

-Does your doctor plan to do any non-stress testing? If so when would this begin and how often would it be done? My doctor did non-stress testing twice weekly beginning at 28 weeks.
-Does your doctor plan to do any ultrasounds to look for growth? If so when and how often? High bp's can cause growth restriction in the baby so it is important to monitor this. I had a growth ultrasound every 2-3 weeks from 22 weeks on.
-Does your doctor plan to do any biophysical profile testing? If so when and how often? This is a non-stress test with a special ultrasound that looks at your amniotic fluid levels, the movement of the baby and the baby's "practice breathing." It's an indicator of how well the baby is tollerating being in the womb...and sometimes it is a reason to deliver early. I had this done weekly.

While your doctor may not choose to monitor you in exactly the way mine did by asking these questions you will gain some important information. Also I would encourage you to ask for a perinatology consultation. My peri is the one who set up the testing schedule. Good luck at your appt. Let us know how it goes.

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced" and "Bedrest"
Co-coordinator for Wisconsin
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest

wcarder

Postby wcarder » Wed Jun 23, 637041 10:10 pm

Rachel ~

Just wanted to say welcome, and good luck. Hope things are improving, and the doc had some good things to say....

Wendy(23)

DD ~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA, severe PE

julie f

Postby julie f » Wed Jun 23, 637041 1:46 pm

Rachel,

I'm not the best to answer the question about labs and monitoring the baby, I didn't get that far last pregnancy, but, I'll pass this link on and see if I can get someone who knows much more than I to help.

Please let us know how your appt goes.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator

for faith

Postby for faith » Wed Jun 23, 637041 1:18 pm

Rachel ~ Best of luck with your appointment. I definitely agree with reading up on this website, it has a lot of great info you can discuss with your dr. Let us know how you are doing.

Jill
mommy to:
Tyler - 4 (36 wks, PIH/mild PE))
Angel baby - 1/20/03 (11 wks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (30 weeks due to severe PE, passed due to NEC/Sepsis (preemie complications))

trying for #2 to share our lives with since 09/02

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Sun Jun 13, 637041 6:03 am

Denise (and everyone),

My doctor is just doing the heart rate. What would the "labs" entail. (I sure sound uneducated to have made it so far.)

I have an appointment tomorrow and after looking over this website I have many questions for my doctor.

Thanks everyone for your support and advice!!

Rachel

denise

Postby denise » Sat Jun 12, 637041 9:59 pm

Just really wanted to add my welcome, especially since the other ladies offered great info. Best of luck to you Rachel. Are they doing labs weekly too, or just the heart rate?
Please keep us updated!!

-------
Co-coordinator for WI
Denise (28)
Jason (32)
Ariana (16 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP
TTC #2 starting in October!
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm

Return to “Ask the Experienced”