could it be preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rachel a

Re : could it be preeclampsia

Postby rachel a » Mon Sep 13, 637041 3:26 pm

Hello all!

I did not call my OB today. I know, I know. [:(!]

I feel like I am going overboard and worrying about every little thing. I have a scheduled appointment on Wednesday and have decided to hold out until then unless things make a turn.

I do however have a couple of questions. Since Saturday my vision has been blurry. I am an avid reader and my sight won't allow me to read. At first I attributed it to bed rest (sheer laziness) but I wonder if this too is something I should be concerned with. My doctor has said, "seeing spots," is a symptom but she has not mentioned blurry vision. Also, my lunchtime bp was 136/106. I told myself that since the top number was so low I was still in the "safe zone". Twenty-five minutes later it went to my average norm - 156/95 - and has remained there all day.

My husband is an awesome person and he's been doing so much to take care of me. He gets 2-4 hours of sleep each night trying to take of the house, me, and his job. The days I spend in the hospital he spends with me and then goes to work (having not slept at all). He's so tired. He's the reason I don't want to call the doctor. I know all these trips (our hospital is 45 minutes away) are wearing him out. I guess this guilty feeling is pretty common among pregnant women who spend any amount of time on bedrest and in the hospital for observation.

How do you cope with this on top of everything else?

With much love for you all!!!
Rachel

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Mon Sep 13, 637041 2:53 pm

Rachel, did you get to talk to your OB today?? If you are around could you let us know how things went?

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

denise

Postby denise » Wed Sep 01, 637041 6:10 am

Rachel,

Happy to hear you went in to be checked out and that labs came back normal. The urine is a concern, but at least the doc is aware of it. Please, please go in if your bp rises, or you start to have other symptoms. Keep us updated, and I hope you get some answers from your OB tomorrow!!! I am worried about you, and will definately keep you in my thoughts.

-------
Co-coordinator for WI
Denise (28)
Jason (32)
Ariana (16 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP
TTC #2 starting in October!
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm

ann marie

Postby ann marie » Wed Sep 01, 637041 3:10 am

Ditto what the other ladies said, butI'm soo glad that you were checked out. Please let us know how you're doing.

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced" and "Bedrest"
Co-coordinator for Wisconsin
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest

julie f

Postby julie f » Wed Sep 01, 637041 12:22 am

Rachel,

I'm so glad you went in to be checked out and so thankful that your bloodwork came back within normal limits. I'm sorry to hear about your 24 hour urine results though. [xx(] I can't add any more to what Catherine has already said but, just wanted you to know that you and baby are in my prayers.

Please update us after you talk to your OB tomorrow morning.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator

mada

Postby mada » Tue Aug 31, 637041 3:25 pm

rachel,
Catherine is right on with all her info...I have nothing to add really but that you and baby are in my prayers!! I hope you stabilize and can buy a few more weeks..But as Catherine said, 32 weeks is a good number!!

Mada Harpster-moderator for pregnant again

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sat Aug 21, 637041 5:00 pm

OK Rachel, I fear that you've just gone through the door marked pre-eclampsia!!! Those protein numbers with your BP readings buy you the official diagnosis.

This is the time for you to have a very serious talk with your OB. The good news is that sometimes women are able to extend their pregnancies all the way to term with mild preeclampsia. This usually involves a lot of bed-rest, occasionally meds, a high degree of vigilance both for worstening symptoms in you and loads of monitoring of the baby with NST tests etc.

On the other hand, on average the time between diagnosis and delivery sits at two weeks. So your baby might be here sooner than later. The key thing is that you find out how your OB wants to handle your pregnancy from here on, maybe that will be in hospital, perhaps steroid shots to aid lung development in your baby.... You need to be certain that you and your OB are on the same page. Make sure that you get in touch with her first thing Monday. Write your questions down, make notes when you talk, or even bring your husband or someone along as support and a second set of ears. Never be afraid to phone back if you suddenly think of a few questions afterwards.

Heck Rachel, I can't lie and say that if you just cross your fingers everything will be fine, but you are nearly 32 weeks pregnant and that is a good milestone. Hugs... I know that this isn't the pretty stuff that you see on a Baby Story.... but as Laura says, with Preeclampsia you start being a mother even before your baby's born!

Last thing... keep checking your BP and make sure that you know the symptoms that indicate that the disease might be worsening (FAQ page). If anything should come up, epigastric pain, severe headache, visual disturbances, severe nausea, then just head to L&D... sure you know the way now [;)], and get yourself checked out.

We're all cheering for you and your little baby....

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Sat Aug 21, 637041 2:48 pm

Immediately after reading your message I called my doctor, who had gone on vacation. I was put in touch with an on-call doctor who told me to get to L&D immediately. The hospital ran the normal tests for the situation you described and everything turned out to be within "normal range".

However, another 24-hour urine was ordered (because my blood pressure was 166/96) and in a matter of 9 days it has gone from a protein count of 183 to 384. As I mentioned my doctor is on vacation until Monday so I don't know how she will react to this news. The on-call doctor said he was "extremely concerned with the sudden jump and how quickly it has risen" but he "did not want to do anything that might go against the better judgement" of my doctor. I questioned that, but he offered no answer. The hospital kept me for observation and sent me home the following day with orders to remain "bed-ridden" and to continue monitoring my blood pressure. What are your thoughts on this rise? Is it normal to see a jump that high?

Thanks for your advice and concern.

Sincerely,

Rachel

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat Jul 17, 637041 12:20 pm

Oh Rachel, please call your doctor.

That pain could be something very simple, it could also be something very serious. The only way to know is to have your doctor examine you. Abdominal pain (where my rib cage met in the middle and slightly to the right) was my first clue that something was wrong. The pain was severe when present but, mine subsided as well. When labs were run on me, we found that my liver enzymes were starting to go through the roof... I don't say that to scare you but, just to give you my experience and why I think it's so important that you call your doctor or head on down to L&D right now.

This is taken from our Signs & Symptoms page:
Stomach and/or Right Shoulder Pain

This type of stomach pain, called epigastric pain by the medical profession, is usually under the right-side ribs. It can be confused with heartburn, gallbladder problems, flu, indigestion or pain from the baby kicking. Shoulder pain is often called referral pain because it radiates from the liver under the right ribs. Lower back pain is different from muscle strain common to pregnancy. It is usually more acute and specific. All may be a sign of HELLP Syndrome or a related problem in the liver. Shoulder pain can feel like someone is deeply pinching you along the bra strap, or it can be painful to lie on your right side.

What you can do...

Pain in this area should be taken very seriously; do not dismiss it and go to bed. Call your health professional immediately.

Please let us know, I'll be checking for updates.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Sat Jul 17, 637041 10:51 am

Hello everyone.

Lastnight while sleeping I kept waking up with severe [V] abdominal pains. (I don't know what a contraction feels like but I don't really think that's what I was experiencing.) I have been very swollen but also lastnight it traveled further up my legs, past my knees and into my thighs, and the swelling all over, hands, arms, and face, felt much more painful. This pain continued from about 2 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. Then it began easing off and I have been fine the rest of the day. I haven't called my doctor since I was there just two days ago but am very concerned about what this was and what brought it on.

Is this common at this stage and with all the other complications I am experiencing? Should I contact my doctor? Sometimes I worry that she's sick and tired of hearing that it's me AGAIN.

Thanks ahead for the advice!

Sincerely,

Rachel

Return to “Ask the Experienced”