could it be preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
catherine
Forum Moderator

Re : could it be preeclampsia

Postby catherine » Tue Oct 05, 637041 9:02 am

Hi Rachel, those were some BPs!! [xx(] I'm sending you some major major "I want my own OB and I want her NOW [:(!]" vibes. Getting the steroid shots [:0][:(] is a great precaution and will help if you have to deliver sooner rather than later. Good thing you are lying down... dragging around a baby that big at almost 32 weeks is no joke![B)] Mine weren't much bigger when I had them at 36 weeks!!

Hang in there honey, don't forget a baby always needs a healthy mom so your well-being is also important.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Mon Oct 04, 637041 6:58 pm

Hello all!

I am back home, however weary of a few things that happened today. I called my OB this morning only to find out that she had vacationed in Florida (suppose to return on Monday) and is now "stuck" due to the devastation left behind by the hurricanes. So the nurse in her office told me to get to L&D and she contacted a different doctor.

Upon arrival my bp was 190/98. The doctor (whom I have never seen nor met before) came and told me that we would be giving the baby steroid shots (Celestone - if I spelled that right) and doing an ultrasound to see if the baby was still growing. The ultrasound was wonderful. He has already engaged (at 31.4 weeks)and he weighs 4 pounds 7 ounces. YEAH!!! By the time we had finished checking him out my bp had dropped to a wonderful 167/77 - the best I've seen in a while.

I am however weary because no labs were ordered. No blood drawn, no 24-hour urine. My OB is expected to be back in her office tomorrow and I have another appointment to see her and to return to the hospital for the 2nd steroid shot. (Wish I'd known that shot was going to be so painful....I thought, "that was easy," only by the time the nurse left the room I was sobbing like a baby-well worth every bit of pain I am sure). The "new" doctor also told me that "blurry vision has nothing to do with preeclampsia" so I had nothing to worry about concerning my vision. However, having diligently educated myself (through all of you and this website) I felt like telling him to rethink that statement. As you can tell, I wasn't too thrilled with this doctor. I felt as though he were blowing off my problems - something I haven't experienced up to this point.

The pain I've been experiencing on my right side (which has become worse since my last visit to the hospital last Wed.) was not addressed either, other than the doctor saying it was cold related, of which cold he was referring I am not sure seeing as I don't have a cold. [?]

My swelling has gotten progressively worse since I got home. I don't know if this could be a side-effect from the steroid shot. My legs are swollen severely, all the way to my hips, and I can hardly bend my arms at the elbows because of the swelling in my arms. Like I said, I will be seeing my OB (prayerfully) tomorrow and will be able to address all of these issues with her.

I will keep all of you updated as I learn more. At least my precious little boy seems to be doing so well...even if Mommy is trying to be difficult.

With much love,
Rachel

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sat Sep 25, 637041 12:57 pm

Rachel, are you out there? Did you see your OB? I sent you an email so please check it if you can.

Catherine

for faith

Postby for faith » Fri Sep 24, 637041 3:55 am

I hope everything is ok, ditto what everyone has said. Hope you are seeing you dr now!!!

Jill
mommy to:
Tyler - 4 (36 wks, PIH/mild PE))
Angel baby - 1/20/03 (11 wks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (30 weeks due to severe PE, passed due to NEC/Sepsis (preemie complications))

trying for #2 to share our lives with since 09/02

julie f

Postby julie f » Thu Sep 23, 637041 10:58 pm

Oh Rachel, I can't add anymore to what Catherine already posted, I just wnat to know what your OB said this morning. PLEASE update after you've called. And PLEASE, don't even think about not calling - I'm about ready to call in for you myself![;)]

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator

ann marie

Postby ann marie » Thu Sep 23, 637041 1:37 pm

Rachel,

I ditto what Catherine said. Please please pretty please call this morning and let us know how you are....we're all a bit worried about you.

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced" and "Bedrest"
Co-coordinator for Wisconsin
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Mon Sep 13, 637041 5:45 pm

Thanks!!!!

I'll be sure to send you an update as soon as I receive one!

Sincerely,

Rachel

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Mon Sep 13, 637041 5:30 pm

Rachel, ask her if they want you to go to LR, which hospital? If it proves to be UAMS, and I imagine that it would be.... I work there so you would be guaranteed company, even if you have to be far from home. They took amazingly good care of me when I was sick and I think that they are wonderful. I will be peeved if you do not phone your OB first thing... with numbers like that... frank symptoms are not a particularly reassuring sign......

I went back and edited my post... to include a shout out to someone else relatively close to you who did heroic work on prolonged bedrest... I'm thinking that she's pretty busy in mom-mode but perhaps she'll join in for some moral support.

Catherine

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Mon Sep 13, 637041 5:24 pm

Catherine,

Wow...who would've thought you were so close! I am in Hope and planning a delivery at St. Michael's in Texarkana. My doctor has said however if we must deliever before 34 weeks (still 2 weeks and 4 days away) that we would deliver in Little Rock. She did not specify which hospital.

For some reason, knowing I have a friend so close makes me feel very good!

I know I should be totally ashamed for not calling my OB. I plan to call her tomorrow and see what she has to say.

By the way, I forgot to mention something else. I have had pitting edema since August and yesterday my right finger tips began feeling numb. Is this a possible problem? I feel like such a whiner!

Thanks,

Rachel

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Mon Sep 13, 637041 4:02 pm

Ok Rachel..... let's review here.... not wonderful BPs, more protein, eyesight a little funky??? Darn right you should have phoned!!!!!!

I do understand how you really don't want to make a fuss, and that 90% of the time it seems like a trip to the hospital for nothing except to be told to rest on your left side. However, that isn't really your call to make KWIM? Preeclampsia can turn on a dime... you can't tell when it happens either... so always better safe than sorry!

That said, it is pretty hard to cope, and even harder for your husband to try and take over everything and still go to work. Time to do a bit of reaching out here.... and oops!!!! I see that you are right in my backyard!!!!!! Well, not quite. I live in Little Rock. There are a few other posters who are Arkies. And was it you Michelle who lives close to the AR/TX border?

Rachel, do you have family or friends who could help out ? Even if they can't share the drive, maybe they could be persuaded to drop over and help him keep things under control or to bring you a home-cooked meal once in a while... I appreciate that it can be hard to convince people that it is very important to have you lie around and do nothing.. but it is!!!

Catherine

Return to “Ask the Experienced”