magnesium sulfate

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
evansmom

Re : magnesium sulfate

Postby evansmom » Sat Jan 22, 2005 01:15 pm

I WAS PUT ON THE MAG FOR PIH DURING MY DELIVERY, NOT FOR TRUE PE. I HAD LABILE BPs, SWELLING AND HYPERREFLEXIA. NO PROTEIN, LIVER ENZYMES, ETC. I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS TOO BAD... ALL I CARED ABOUT WAS GETTING THE BABY OUT AT THAT POINT [;)]! TO ME THE WORST PART WAS HAVING TO STAY IN L&D FOR 24 HOURS AFTER THE BIRTH AND NOT BEING WITH THE BABY. ANYWAY, I THINK THE DOCTORS IN CASES LIKE MINE ARE WORRIED ABOUT MALPRACTICE AND RATHER "BE SAFE THAN SORRY."

Lauren 28
DH Jeff
Evan 12-9-01 (PIH @ 29 weeks)
Nicholas 6-28-04 (no pe!)

alexp

Postby alexp » Tue Jan 18, 2005 02:09 pm

I was on it for about 2-3 days (I think 2, can't remember...wonder why?[:p]) when I was first admitted. It was my (admittedly very limited!) understanding that they let me go off of it because: my bp was stable with strict bedrest, I had the steriod shots in (this made it safer for the babies if they had to be born quickly...so there wasn't as much need to put off delivery anymore, if it became necessary), and my oxygen saturation levels were starting to be not as good as they should have been.

They never put me back on it - I was put on procardia after the babies were born, but only the pills. I was glad - although I have to say I didn't have any really bad symptoms from the mag...just a little hot and drowsy, with a stuffy nose.

Alex, mama to:
Parker - born 4/15/2001
Vivian & Lily - born 7/14/2003 at 32 weeks

meg hanrahan

Postby meg hanrahan » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:28 am

Catherine gave great info regarding when Mag is given so I won't add to that. But mag made me feel terrible! I could barely hold my head up, got sick to my stomach, and generally made me feel out of it. I was on it for 24 hours after my daughter's birth - and couldn't hold her since I couldn't even hold my own head up! But it saved my life so I'd go through it again if I had to (which I really hope I don't).

Meg
Isabella 11/11/2002 (34 weeks, severe pe)
Katie 4/21/2004 (full term, no pe)
#3 Due 7/29/2005

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:23 am

hehe I ended up with burns on my temples and marks on my metal ear pieces to my glasses from the mag sulfate. I also was still feeling the effects of it 5-7 days after being taken off it.
I know we have a strong history of allergic reactions to sulfites and to sulfer but not sure if this qualifies... either way its not something I EVER EVER want to be on again (incidentialy, I had a somewhat similiar reaction to an antibiotic Biaxon sp? and 4 other members of my family have had similiar reactions as mine to the same antibiotic...too wierd!)

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

princess purr

Postby princess purr » Mon Jan 17, 2005 07:55 pm

Mag made me feel alittle warm, I didn't have a very bad reaction to it.

Val (25) & Rich (26)
Married: June 20th 2001
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 06:21 pm

my two cents...when I hadn't felt my little guy move all day we went to L&D to make sure he was still alive. My bp was 166/100 so they made me stay overnight on mag. It made me feel very hot and tired for about 1/2 an hour. Since my bp came down on it my OB let me go home the next evening after making sure it stayed down all day.

lauchlan

Postby lauchlan » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:32 am

Adding my 2-cents as well... my blood pressure was very unstable during my 5 week hospitalization (weeks 28 - 33) and my liver enzymes were elevated. The entire time I was being induced (4 days) my blood pressure was steadily low... 120/70's. However, they still gave me Mag for 24 hours after delivery - just to be on the safe side.

My experience with Mag wasn't HORRIBLE. I was very sensitive to light and slept almost the entire 24 hours. I don't remember much of what happened while I was awake. I was STARVING and all they would give me was ice chips (which I would let melt so I could have some water). Once they took me off, I was moved to Post-Partum and felt better immediately. In fact, I made them get me a bagel & cream cheese before I let them wheel me over to the NICU to see my little girl.

Proud co-sleeping, baby wearing mom to
Grace - 3/14/04
3 lb. 7 oz. 16 in.
Born at 33 weeks due to PE

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Jan 16, 2005 09:06 pm

Just had to add my two cents :->. I had ONLY swelling and high blood pressure - 140s/90s, no protein in my urine, blood work okay, no other symptoms, but my doctor put me on mag during labor and 24 hours after delivery.
I had a doctor with horrible communication skills, btw, who didn't even *tell* me what was going into my IV until a few hours after delivery. oh, that's why I was puking? thanks for letting me know... *sigh*
Anyway, I know she was just being cautious. From the insane amount of reading I've done since my little guy was born, especially the MAGPIE trial, it seems that it's just up to your doc's comfort level whether s/he puts you on it or not. From my understanding of the MAGPIE trial and other research, you CAN have seizures without even high BP - though it's unusual, and the disease progression is so unpredictable you can get really really sick really really fast, which is why some docs are just insanely cautious.
I'm happy to have my info refuted, anyone :->. I'd rather not go through that again if I have mild PIH in this pregnancy, too...

Good luck!

Heather
Storm born 7/18/03 - 37 weeks, induced for PIH, 5 pounds, 8 ounces, in NICU 4 days because my labor was so short the mag didn't have time to process through my system and his breathing was iffy on his own
3 positive pregnancy tests this week, no idea how far along I could be :->

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Sun Jan 16, 2005 06:59 pm

The Ob that I had with my first daughter also had pre-e with her first pregnancy and I guess has quite a reputation for giving mag at the hospital. I got put on it for a bp of 150/90 (just that day - at 37.5 weeks, when I got induced), visual disturbances and just "looking" like I had the disease - apparently there was quite facial swelling - oh yah, and a weight gain of 5 lbs in 8 days. My blood work looked okay. I guess what I am trying to say is that different OB's will use different criteria. I was one of the lucky ones and did not feel that mag affected me in a bad way. Good luck to you.

Joy

capfel

Postby capfel » Sun Jan 16, 2005 06:15 pm

Catherine,
Thanks for the info! It was very helpful. I guess I am just a big worry wart, I can't seem to keep from having all these questions running through my mind. I have a dr. appt. tomorrow and will ask some additional questions regarding mag. Kind of worried about my BP's, today they have been a little high every time I take it. I hope I don't have to go back into the hospital! 1) it is boring 2) I feel like I'm starving to death since they keep me on the constant carbo diet for GD and 3) my husband refuses to leave me alone there at night so he doesn't get to sleep very well. But, I guess being there is better than the alternatives!

Thanks agin,

Cheryl
30 weeks PE and gestational diabetes

Return to “Ask the Experienced”