How long does a post C-section hurt?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

How long does a post C-section hurt?

Postby melissam » Sat Feb 05, 2005 07:18 am

I was just curious. I am so ready for it not to hurt any more. It isn't all that bad, but sometimes when I stand from a sitting position it gives me a real zinger. I also don't want this constant reminder any more. I had a classic c-section. There were two cuts. The uterine cut was vertical while the superficial or cut on the outside was horizontal. The uterine cut still hurts the most. It is fairly tender and hurts when my little girl gives me hugs...it is right at her head level. She leans her head into my tummy to give me hugs.

I had a vaginal delivery with my first so this is a whole new experience to me.

Also, how long until you received Aunt Flow? I know it has only been 5 weeks and I need to give it time, I just wanted to know what it was like for some you others.

Thanks for your help.

Melissa
Mom to:
Riley 2/9/2000 born at 37 weeks due to PE
Kelsi 12/30/2004 - 1/1/2005 (13 oz) born at 24 weeks due to Severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/k/kelsi2005/
melissam

Re : How long does a post C-section hurt?

Postby julie f » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:08 am

Melissa, I had a regular C-section both times and with the first one, things were so foggy I really can't remember how long it hurt... I remember that that the pain didn't last all that long but the tenderness did, for quite some time. I have heard though that recovery from a classic cut takes longer and is more painful.

Last time, my period returned right at about 6 weeks.

I'm sorry for what you're going through, it is incredibly unfair to be in pain physically on top of what you're already going through emotionally.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Jackson Charles 01/24/05, 36wks 6dys - NO PE!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby fiona » Sat Feb 05, 2005 05:13 pm

Melissa, I had a classic section the first time. I can't remember exactly when it healed - although I do know it took longer than the regular section I had second time around. I think it's a much more vulnerable cut - seven years on, I still have numb and tender points along the route of the scar.

As for my period, about six weeks, both times.

Fiona
dh Tom
ds Nate 12/8/97 - 14/8/97 26 weeks severe pre-e IUGR 1lb
ds Jay 4/11/98 30 weeks pre-e 3lbs 11 oz
no 3 due 15/6/05
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby ann marie » Sun Feb 06, 2005 06:35 am

It took me 4 months to get my period again even though I wasn't breast feeding. My c-section took about 10-12 weeks before I wasn't tender anymore, but I had my gallbladder out 6 weeks after I had my baby and it's hard to tell what I was hurting from. Even now though I still get zingers about 1-2X per week. Still healing I guess.

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced" and "Bedrest"
Co-coordinator for Wisconsin
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest
ann marie

Postby rachel a » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:54 am

Melissa,

Hey girl! I am four months postpartum and my c-section is still sore. The area is very sensitive and itchy. I have lost some feeling & sensation around the incision. Sometimes, it even hurts to lay on my stomach. I am very sensitive to pain.

There are times that I overdo a workout and my tummy is really sore. It's different for different people.

As far as my period...I went three months before having a period.

Good luck!

Rachel Adamson

Dylan Samuel 10/04/04 @ 32 weeks (due to severe PE)
rachel a

Postby valea » Tue Feb 08, 2005 05:15 am

My experience. My first was a horizontal on the outside and horizontal and veritical on the inside (ds was stuck!) it took a very long time to heal. Like you the inside was 10x worse then the outside. Honestly I remember 1 year later going back to the doctor for my yearly and telling her it still hurt. I was miserable. Like you when I stood boy that pain could be intense. I also lost a lot of blood and continued to bleed for 9 weeks then went on meds to stop it. I then got af 1 month later.

My second c-section was horitzontal both. My inside felt great shortly after. Now my incision was a problem and didnt close until 12 weeks later but as far as inside pain it was so minimal compared to my first. But the outside does still hurt at almost 4 months pp. And I got af at 2 1/2 months pp with bfing.

Many hugs to you, I hope you heal quickly.

Valerie
Wyatt 12-29-01 full term pre-e
Kirstin 10-11-04 35 weeks pre-e
valea

Postby anne » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:05 am

I was doing Pilates at about 8 weeks post c section (and had done Yoga up to the birth). I still found the odd soreness for months after, but never real pain.

As for AF - Mine took A YEAR as I was still breastfeeding. For some women it only takes one or two feedings a day to prevent ovulation. It was great! (and worked as birth control for us, but I have heard lots of stories about it not working)!!!!!

Anne
Cooper May 9, 2003 (HELLP and severe pre-e at 35 weeks)
EDD May 31, 2005
anne

Postby matts_mom » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:33 pm

i had a horizontal incision inside and out and i had no pain. the nurses could't believe that i didn't feel any pain at all after. both my doctor and my mom told me that in the best cases there probably won't be any pain after a c/s. because i had hellp, i had a bruise the size of a football on my tummy, it looked terrible. my incision didn't heal for about 2 weeks, i was held together with staples and dissolving stitches. it has been a year and i can feel scar tissue inside when i push on my tummy. from what i have learned take it easy for at least a year. no heavy lifting, no straining your tummy, stuff like that because a major muscle has been cut and that takes an awful long time to heal.

as for menstrating, i had Matthew Feb 6, 2004 and had my first normal period at the beginning of may but breastfeeding didn't go as i had hoped. i still enjoyed not having it for all those month....lol.

andrea(35)
dh reg(52)
matthew-born Feb 6, 2004, at 34 weeks due to hellp syndrome (4lbs 10 ounces)
matts_mom

Postby lawsontx » Thu Feb 10, 2005 08:28 am

I had a verticle uterine cut with my first C-Section. I took at least 3 months before I was back to normal (as normal as it was going to get). That was 2 years ago, and to this day if I lean up against a counter in the kitchen I can still feel some tenderness at the top of the cut.

I've since had a normal c-section, and I can distinctly tell the difference in the two when I puch on my stomach. Now there is tenderness in 2 different areas.

-Jessica

Our Angel, Faith, born March 3rd, 2003 @ 24wks, Pre-E and Severe HELLP

Caelan Drake - 9/21/04 @ 34 Weeks
lawsontx

Re: How long does a post C-section hurt?

Postby tanikit » Thu May 15, 2014 01:29 pm

I had a horizontal cut and it took about 4 weeks to heal that I felt ok - however there was some nerve damage there that took much longer to heal and I had tingling (like pins and needles) over that area for a few months (I am a type 1 diabetic which may have slowed healing too though). My first was a natural birth with episiotomy and the second was an emergency C-section - the difference between the two was huge - I also felt like I would never recover and be able to swing my eldest in the air again or rock my younger to sleep like I had with the eldest. Now much much later I have almost forgotten all that.
tanikit

Return to Ask the Experienced