Post Partum Eclamptic Seizure

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
crystal.t.

Re : Post Partum Eclamptic Seizure

Postby crystal.t. » Fri Jul 15, 2005 07:30 pm

I had the problem of mixing up numbers, i.e. phone numbers, and recalling recent events in my memory. I still have problems with these things especially when I am tired. The doctor says that they might go away or it might not. Post it notes are god sent

faith

Postby faith » Fri Jul 15, 2005 04:54 pm

Hi Crystal! Welcome :) I had some memory problems after the seizure, but it seemed to resolved itself pretty quickly. Now I think I just suffer from "Mommy Brain"...haha :)

crystal.t.

Postby crystal.t. » Fri Jul 15, 2005 04:40 pm

I had a post partum seizure 24 hours after my emergency c-section. I delievered at 29 weeks. I had some memory loss problems for almost a year afterwards. My son is now 3 and I feel that I still have memory problems.

sickofsick

Postby sickofsick » Tue May 17, 2005 10:47 am

i feel your pain i had mine almost 2 weeks later..19 sezuries.in all and fell into a 3 day coma.my family was called in..i awoke while they were giving me a spinal tap.i have read alot and come to comclude since i have felt like crap ever since i gve birth the first time that eclampsia has a part.i now 16 yrs later i have heart problems,fatigue general malise.i think
i t is from the eclampsia ....i went so far into the elampsia so near death i think it harmed some of my oragns.im no dr but i think it had a huge impact on the way i feel now...i am so glad u made it as well..we can thank God for that,because it is a rare but deadly disease..we are lucky..btw ...i had another seizure in 98,a hugeeee one out of nowhere,and i also think that it has something to do with the eclampsia as well.. ..dana[:)]

faith

Postby faith » Mon Apr 18, 2005 06:44 am

I had some issues with my memory, but it resoloved itself within the week, especially once I got off the mag. After I had the seizure, I didn't recognize anyone and I didn't even belive the dr's when they told me that I had had a baby. It was quite scary. You mentioned that your baby was premature...was he/she ok? Had you been diagnoised with PE prior to the seizure?

kathleen

sgobel

Postby sgobel » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:18 pm

Oh gosh! So glad I found this site.I had two seizures w/in six hours of a premature delivery(2 months early).I was in a comatose state for 24 hrs proceeding that. It took a whole year to regain parts of my memory. Has anyone had that experience? I'd really appreciate feedback :)

faith

Postby faith » Fri Apr 08, 2005 07:08 am

Norlisa, your notes have been more helpful then you know! Thank you :)

Kathleen

kathleen

norlisa k

Postby norlisa k » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:09 pm

You're welcome, Kathleen. I just wish that there was more that I could do for you.

Norlisa

Norlisa Keffer(35), essential hypertension diagnosed before pregnancy, successfully treated with atenolol, NO preeclampsia antepartum. (post-partum preeclampsia)
DH, Gordon (38)
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven (9/16/02)
Twins Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 2/7 weeks, 5/26/03

faith

Postby faith » Thu Apr 07, 2005 08:27 am

Thank you Norlisa!

kathleen

norlisa k

Postby norlisa k » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:06 pm

Hi Kathleen,

I'm so sorry to hear about your post-partum eclampsia. How scary! I am really sorry that you had to go through that h-ll. It's a double whammy for you, first the emotional roller coaster of infertility and that extremely stressful IVF cycle, and once you're pregnant, you're not home free, you had the eclampsia.

As for the relationship between preeclampsia and IVF--you'll hear mixed reviews on this. I'll share what I've been told by my reproductive endocrinologists and my perinatologist (all of them respected by their peers as among the best in this country). My reproductive endocrinologists from the very beginning gave us the "heads up" concerning the risks of IVF, and the only risk factor that increased the chance of pregnancy induced hypertension or preeclampsia was a multiple gestation. BUT in my case, they threw in the facts that I already was overweight and had essential hypertension, and before they would even go forward with the cycle pretty much made me go to my perinatologist for a preconception consult. But as for the IVF itself, my docs never said anything about IVF increasing the risks for preeclampsia/eclampsia. Once pregnant I was high-risk because of the twins, my being overweight, gestational diabetes, GBS, and chronic hypertension--with the exception of the twins, none of the above happened because of the IVF procedure itself.

Please don't blame yourself or feel like you caused this to happen or wonder what you did wrong or what you could have done to prevent it. It's not your fault, you didn't cause the eclampsia to happen or do anything wrong, you could not have done anything to prevent it. I know how badly you want to become a mom to undergo IVF--doing the procedure didn't cause the eclampsia, and the risk factor of the multiple gestation wasn't an issue for you. To undergo IVF, I know that we are screened (and screened and screened) to see if there are any risk factors preventing us from having a successful IVF and pregnancy. If the doctors never told you of underlying factors and were not able to explain to you why or how this could happen, I know that this is easier said than done, please don't try to "explain" it to yourself--it's not your fault.

Will keep you in my prayers,
Norlisa

Norlisa Keffer(35), essential hypertension diagnosed before pregnancy, successfully treated with atenolol, NO preeclampsia antepartum. (post-partum preeclampsia)
DH, Gordon (38)
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven (9/16/02)
Twins Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 2/7 weeks, 5/26/03

Return to “Ask the Experienced”